State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections

doc.wi.gov
  doc.wi.gov
There are newer employer reviews for State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections

An OK job with OK pay

Current Employee - Correctional Officer
Current Employee - Correctional Officer

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job security and vacation are the biggest perks of the job with health care being good but pricey. Promotions are plentiful with a lot of old-timers retiring.

Cons

When first starting you can expect to work 16 hour days at least several times a month with a 1.5 hour notice.

Supervisors need to be fair and consistent with their officers just as everyone is taught to do with inmates.

13 Other Employee Reviews for State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections (View Most Recent)

Probation Parole Field Supervisor here-Going downhill

Current Employee - CFS
    Current Employee - CFS

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I can look outside during the day-Leave time - pension-

Cons

Unclear whishy washy policies. Never get a break constantly spinning wheels. Little shown appreciation from upper management. Merit raises which are killing morale. Have to take work home to not fall behind.Upper management does not have to deal with it day in and day out. Long days into nights. To easy to fall behind if you take a lunch much less a day off. Lack of training with EBP and Compas. To many changes with software to policies to fast. Lack of technology

Hire staff to do employee investigations full time. I don't have time. Fix leap frogging in pay. Seriously do people ever get disciplined or fired? Just know a lot of people are looking to take their college degrees and resumes elsewhere. I am a good - usually level headed - calm employee but really you have exhausted me to tears. There are bad apples and bullies in this job and its OK.

Sgt

Current Employee - Sgt in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Sgt in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation time, Pension, Health Insurance

Cons

Everything is seniority based. Terrible Pay, Always working weekends. No Family Life.

Promote people that are worth it, not because they are part of your inner circle.