State of Wisconsin
www.wisconsin.gov Madison, WI

The work is challenging and I have had some great career opportunities.

Financial Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at State of Wisconsin

ProsThe work is challenging and my co-workers and manager is supportive of my efforts. There are continual opportunities to learn new things on my job and continual opportunities to apply that new knowledge to my work. I work with and have worked with people with excellent skills, who take their jobs seriously and are engaged in their work.

ConsWe function in a large bureacracy with a political environment. Executive leaders can change dependent upon the outcome of the election. Leadership changes mean priorities change. Decisions at high levels (i.e. agency heads/governors office) are made primarily with a focus on political outcomes/advantages not because they make good business sense. You need to have "thick skin" because far too many citizens have been easily led to believe that government employees are not very bright and have poor work ethics.

Advice to Senior ManagementProviding relevant and meaningful feedback on how employees are functioning is an important way you can help us advance our skills and impact on state agency operations. Politicians or political appointees need to recognize the agencies and programs existed before they ever arrived. Consideration needs to be made for why the work is done.

So much time, so little to do

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at State of Wisconsin

Pros: Decent pay, good benefits, job for life regardless of performance. Very little is expected of you. No real threat of disciplinary action for anything less… Cons: Promotions and other opportunities based on personal relationships & who you know - if you're in with the right crowd this can be a pro. Quality… Advice to Senior Management: It's government work. Follow the quid pro quo formula that has worked… More

lower earnings but long engagement time

Project Manager - Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at State of Wisconsin

Pros: Financial stability -- a PO is cut for the FY and provided you perform you have an engagement for the… Cons: Culture is too relaxed, no impetus to get things done. The inherent lack of accountability for results can be a downer and bad for… Advice to Senior Management: It would be good to see a shift back to project-oriented engagements. Also, to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on State of Wisconsin.

Worked for State of Wisconsin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State of Wisconsin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for State of Wisconsin CEO Scott Walker. All reviews posted anonymously by State of Wisconsin employees.