State of Wisconsin

www.wisconsin.gov

Great employer;

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Madison, WI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Pros

Most careers have a long shelf life

Cons

Benefits seem to be a politically motivated

Other reviews for State of Wisconsin

The work is challenging and I have had some great career opportunities.

Current Employee - Financial Manager  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Financial Manager in Madison, WI

Pros

The work is challenging and my co-workers and manager is supportive of my efforts. There are continual opportunities to learn new things on my job and continual opportunities to apply that new knowledge to my work. I work with and have worked with people with excellent skills, who take their jobs seriously and are engaged in their work.

Cons

We function in a large bureacracy with a political environment. Executive leaders can change dependent upon the outcome of the election. Leadership changes mean priorities change. Decisions at high levels (i.e. agency heads/governors office) are made primarily with a focus on political outcomes/advantages not because they make good business sense. You need to have "thick skin" because far too many citizens have been easily led to believe that government employees are not very bright and have poor work ethics.

Providing relevant and meaningful feedback on how employees are functioning is an important way you can help us advance our skills and impact on state agency operations. Politicians or political appointees need to recognize the agencies and programs existed before they ever arrived. Consideration needs to be made for why the work is done.

So much time, so little to do

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Madison, WI

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, job for life regardless of performance.
    Very little is expected of you. No real threat of disciplinary action for anything less than a felony.
    OK, it's government work. I wouldn't have taken the job if I had a strong work ethic.
    One of few employers who put a monetary value on a liberal arts degree.

Cons

Promotions and other opportunities based on personal relationships & who you know - if you're in with the right crowd this can be a pro.
    Quality and quantity of work are unimportant - this can be a pro.
    The money is below average compared to private employers if you have a competitive college degree (engineering, business, law...).

It's government work. Follow the quid pro quo formula that has worked for decades. In the end it works out better for employees and management.

There are newer employer reviews for State of Wisconsin.

Worked for State of Wisconsin? Contribute to the Community!