Statesman Journal

www.statesmanjournal.com
There are newer employer reviews for Statesman Journal

Good people, but reduced to skeleton staff.

Former Employee - Reporter I in Salem, OR
Former Employee - Reporter I in Salem, OR

I worked at Statesman Journal

Pros

Working at the Statesman is a good way to get experience if you're starting in your career. I liked all of the editors I worked with in my time there. And, they were able to help me in all aspects of becoming a better journalist.

Cons

Because the company is public, many of the decisions seems to be made outside of Salem. The newspaper industry is in decline, and the Statesman has been forced make rounds of layoffs and force employees to take furlough days. Additionally, when someone leaves, the vacated position is only sometimes filled. Many times, the responsibilities are absorbed by others. This affects an employee's opportunities for advancement.

The Statesman Journal's problems seem to be more a product of the times and a symptom of being a publically-owned company. I think there could be more communication between management (brain trust) and employees, many of whom are very intelligent. And, I think many of the employees there could be better utilized in coming up with creative solutions to problems.

3 Other Employee Reviews for Statesman Journal (View Most Recent)

Great people, horrible job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I worked at Statesman Journal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co Workers, pay, vacation time, benefits, and casual Friday's

Cons

High stress level job, clients, deadlines, work space

Look elsewhere,

I have been working at Statesman Journal

Pros

Some great people. HR / employee association has frequent motivational and inspirational activities. New publisher so potential for change in politics and policies.

Cons

Some areas have quite dismal managers, be wary. Lack of cross-training leaves employees stranded and overwhelmed when others are on vacation. Several employees have the workload of two people, caused by employees leaving and shifting responsibilities instead of hiring replacements. Be careful, you can be penalized during reviews for taking sick leave though it's part of benefits. Little opportunity for advancement. Salaries below average for area. Information is lost between departments and even managers often don't have the full story. Minimal training and high expectations.

There are newer employer reviews for Statesman Journal