Statoil

www.statoil.com
There are newer employer reviews for Statoil

International headoffice, yet with Norwegian pride

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Oslo (Norway)
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Oslo (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work and life balance is a great addon. If you want to leave your work at 15:00 or 16:00, then this is the place to be. But if you have some aspirations and want to progress with your career, then you should really consider if this company is the right for you.

Cons

This is my second review of Statoil. I have now moved from the main headoffice in Stavanger to the international headoffice in Oslo. The atmosphere is more relaxed here, but I expected the work pace to be much higher than it turned out. Most of international employees here are adapting quickly to the work environment, you see people spending more time drinking coffee and having hour long lunch breaks. If this company is due to cut its cost and increase competitiveness, they must start with their work culture. I don't think I will be for much longer.

Change your attitude towards young international employees. You should drive and encourage performance, and not discourage it by sending your employees home at 1500, 1600. It appears that the CEO is not seeing the problem. The company has its own corporate priority group of something 150 employees and while most of them Norwegian, its very much politics on how they get promoted. If you can play the political game within Statoil, then you will have a chance to boost your career. As I don't consider this workplace to be a political arena, I would rather prefer to get to my work, get the job done on high quality and then go home when I have to, not when I am being told to.

74 Other Employee Reviews for Statoil (View Most Recent)

Generally a stable, safe job - but bureaucratic and conservative

Current Employee - Business Developer in Stavanger (Norway)
    Current Employee - Business Developer in Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Flexibility and working hours: While it is possible to work yourself to near death also in Statoil (depending on your position), it is generally possible to achieve a comparably good work-life balance
    - Range of opportunities: As in most large corporations, there are many countries, disciplines and settings that you can work within

And as far as the company is concerned, it is expanding rapidly and has become a lot more international in the past few years. It is an exciting company to follow.

Cons

- Salaries (in Norway): Considerably lower than industry average. Furthermore, salary does not follow actual responsibility, but rather age and years of experience.
    - Advancement: While you will readily be given increased responsibility, and be able to handle this well, your performance will not be rewarded by hierarchic (and hence also salary) promotion. Age is king. Period.
    - The mantra underpinning Statoil's HR policy is: "Everybody wants to work here. We don't care if you leave."
    - Decision making is exceedingly bureaucratic and very slow. The internal politics associated with this are suffocating initiative on a daily basis.

Shake up the incredibly conservative salary and promotion policies. Cut internal red tape and speed up decision making.

Awesome

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Haugesund (Norway)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Haugesund (Norway)

I worked at Statoil as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

A great workplace with great people and a wonderful bonuses. Not much else to say other than to say that it was worth the time.

Cons

Not that much to say really, kinda sucks to work for the government. The work is restrictive and they are strict on work hours.

There are newer employer reviews for Statoil