There are newer employer reviews for Statoil

Ideal company if you are Norwegian and want to work 0900 to 1500.

Former Employee - Business Developer
Former Employee - Business Developer

I worked at Statoil full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are permanently based in Norway and want a no hassle work life with good benefits then this is the right choice.

Cons

Low glass ceiling for non Norwegians
General caliber of staff much inferior to what you would encounter in majors or large independents
Good if you want to cruise but not a good environment for ambitious international employees who need to stay competitive on the international job market
Gender diversity focus results in very underqualified staff in senior roles
Complete absence of performance culture and accountability

reviews filtered by

Good company to work for if you are true Norwegian, wrong place to be if you are an international employee

I have been working at Statoil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good work/life balance. The company is the right choise for those who are looking for relaxed and stable employment. Good company for housewives and not ambitious people. It is nearly impossible to get fired, unless you come drunk to your work.

Cons

No professional growth, guaranteed, unless you are Norwegian or a good friend of someone. Most of employees are just waiting to retire and doing minimum tasks. The company is promoting equal rights, hence a lot of women at all layers of organization and most of them just not capable for their job

Advice to Management

Get rid of a lot of useless people, among you as well

Spending dollars saving pennies

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Stavanger (Norway)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Statoil have a relatively flat organization where one as an employee can handle projects quite on your own as long as you deliver and show results. I.e. leaders will not interfere too much which I appreciate. If you have a solid knowledge of your specific field and is secure on yourself, you can do a difference. My personal experience is that my closest manager gives me free reins with what I do.
    Working hours are like in Norway good (regulated by law), and you can normally decide how you use your time. If you have a sick child, nobody will raise their eyebrows if you're home to take care of your child. So if you're a young professional starting in this industry, Statoil is a good place to get experience.

Cons

To much money is spent on wastless studies by external companies because project leaders don't have enough broad knowledge and thus don't trust internals with the required background. This leads to what I like to call decision paralysis requiring even more studies!
    Statoil have a lot of technical requirements, which is typical for the oil industry. However there is a resistance to change these when knowledge shows that it should be done.
    Now Statoil wishes to save money by saving pennies instead of saving dollars. This is done by taking away benefits we have had like fruit baskets (from a company for people with disabilities. Social responsibility?), food assortment in the cantina etc.
    Restrictions to travel is another issue. To travel overseas needs approval by top management. I dare say on one occasion that with less restrictions, the company could had saved X. Not to talk about these studies...
    One should bear in mind that Statoil being Norways largest company can't pay as much as foreign oil companies thus pays less because it would raise the average pay level in Norway. All very understandable. With this backdrop it will be less interesting to stay by the company when one have enough knowledge to seek better opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Start listening to individuals one by one over a coffee or something, and not from middle/top management.

There are newer employer reviews for Statoil