Great Experience

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager  in  Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

Full benefits on day 1. I got the salary I asked for. I have a 5 day work week and If I pick up any extra shifts I get paid for those days on top of my salary. Bonus is easily achievable. Im very pleased to be working there!

Cons

Insurance is ok but could be better. I have great hourly employees who have poor benefits and absolutely no raises in pay regardless of tenure.

Other Reviews for Steak n Shake

One to never do again

Current Employee - Manager  in  Lake in the Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Lake in the Hills, IL

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

What pros?
    Some nice staff and occasionally decent fellow managers. Regulars can be fun as well to help you get threw your shift.

Cons

Hours suck, pay sucks. They talk up your pay but after the actual hours you put in for a week you are lucky if you make $4.00 an hour as a manager. $35,000 a year for a required 50 hours a week but you put in 60 + hours. Districts forget that they were once in this boat and you would think that they would have more respect. Its okay for some to break rules but not others. And we are talking BIG rules. You have to kiss their asses everyday just to get any type of respect. Oh and lets not forget NUMBERS. If any one knows there are no such things as set meal rushes. And unless you really put in alot of extra work you will never know when you are going to get hit. But the scheduling manager never seems to care about that. they only care about their own shift. Every know how to critize especially the new CEO, but can they really do what it takes to run a store themselves.

Walk the Walk before you Talk the Talk. Its not so easy and to give up raising your kids its not worth it.

Horrible, Would not recommend this job to my worst enemy

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

- Some good employees and managers
    - Decent quality food for a reasonable price

Cons

Ridiculous amount of paperwork, long hours with little to no respect from the incompetent upper management team,
    Customer satisfaction system where you're guilty until proven innocent, the most insane management style I have seen in over 20 years of restaurant management experience
    Bonus system targets are almost impossible to reach, high turnover of managers (that's if they can even get managers)
    Work at least 70 hours a week and management expectation is that you're available even on vacations and days off
    I could go on and on, but recommend anyone considerating working at Steak N Shake to look at other alternatives unless your completely desperate

What a joke of management style. Only thing this management cares about is reaching their numbers so they can fill their pockets with bonuses, no respect or care for the team which makes it all possible from them to even get a bonus. Good luck to anyone even considering working at Steak N Shake as a GM.

There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake.

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!