There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

Don't even consider it!

Former Employee - Server  in  Peoria, IL
Former Employee - Server in Peoria, IL

I worked at Steak n Shake

Pros

The co-workers were usually fun and easy to get along with. And the schedule flexibility was tolerable. I even worked with a few managers who were pretty decent and easy to work with. They have the potential to be great if they could get a better CEO.

Cons

This company is an absolute atrocity. The customer base is probably the worst in the restaurant industry. No one appreciates the rudest of customers.

And then there is management. They have the company riding their tails so hard they feel the need to treat their employees like scum. Not to mention their manager turn over rate is embarrassing. In three years I worked with three different general managers and probably about 15 managers total. And most of them were awful. I couldn't believe half of them had a highschool diploma let alone a college education or equivalent work experience.

On another note their policies were outrageous and ever changing. And you had to agree to them or be terminated. For example the most recent being taking 2.5% of servers' credit card tips to pay for the companies credit card processing fees. No I'm not joking. How can you justify practically stealing from your employees? On top if that don't hope for a raise because they don't offer them. Except the three raises I got WHEN MINIMUM WAGE WENT UP. Basically you can help your store bonus for the period and earn an extra 50¢ per hour, but its based on impossible to meet standards. Or you can be promoted through the company which is a joke cause anyone there long enough to be offered a promotion knows better than to take. Sure Ill be your trainer for a quarter more an hour with tons of extra responsibilities!

My favorite part would probably be their 40% employee discount. Oh jolly! A reason to look forward to work and their disgusting food.

Work a day in a store and see what its like. Also you should provide employees with more incentive to work for the company.

314 Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake (View Most Recent)

Highest paying job you'll get if you're under 18

Current Employee - Server  in  Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

Fun place to work
    Nice co workers
    The tips are fairly decent if it's busy
    You don't have to share your tips

Cons

You never get out on time
    Some people tip really low or don't tip at all
    The food takes a while if its busy and sometimes the food dressers get things wrong
    Management......
    Stupid rules (Don't bring napkins unless they ask?? whatever)
    Hours are not fair
    If you request off, get ready to get your hours majorly cut back.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

Full benefits on day 1. I got the salary I asked for. I have a 5 day work week and If I pick up any extra shifts I get paid for those days on top of my salary. Bonus is easily achievable. Im very pleased to be working there!

Cons

Insurance is ok but could be better. I have great hourly employees who have poor benefits and absolutely no raises in pay regardless of tenure.

There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!