Don't even consider it!

Former Employee - Server in Peoria, IL
Former Employee - Server in Peoria, IL

I worked at Steak n Shake

Pros

The co-workers were usually fun and easy to get along with. And the schedule flexibility was tolerable. I even worked with a few managers who were pretty decent and easy to work with. They have the potential to be great if they could get a better CEO.

Cons

This company is an absolute atrocity. The customer base is probably the worst in the restaurant industry. No one appreciates the rudest of customers.

And then there is management. They have the company riding their tails so hard they feel the need to treat their employees like scum. Not to mention their manager turn over rate is embarrassing. In three years I worked with three different general managers and probably about 15 managers total. And most of them were awful. I couldn't believe half of them had a highschool diploma let alone a college education or equivalent work experience.

On another note their policies were outrageous and ever changing. And you had to agree to them or be terminated. For example the most recent being taking 2.5% of servers' credit card tips to pay for the companies credit card processing fees. No I'm not joking. How can you justify practically stealing from your employees? On top if that don't hope for a raise because they don't offer them. Except the three raises I got WHEN MINIMUM WAGE WENT UP. Basically you can help your store bonus for the period and earn an extra 50¢ per hour, but its based on impossible to meet standards. Or you can be promoted through the company which is a joke cause anyone there long enough to be offered a promotion knows better than to take. Sure Ill be your trainer for a quarter more an hour with tons of extra responsibilities!

My favorite part would probably be their 40% employee discount. Oh jolly! A reason to look forward to work and their disgusting food.

Advice to Management

Work a day in a store and see what its like. Also you should provide employees with more incentive to work for the company.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Experience

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

Full benefits on day 1. I got the salary I asked for. I have a 5 day work week and If I pick up any extra shifts I get paid for those days on top of my salary. Bonus is easily achievable. Im very pleased to be working there!

Cons

Insurance is ok but could be better. I have great hourly employees who have poor benefits and absolutely no raises in pay regardless of tenure.

2. Horrible, Would not recommend this job to my worst enemy

Current Employee - General Manager in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

- Some good employees and managers
    - Decent quality food for a reasonable price

Cons

Ridiculous amount of paperwork, long hours with little to no respect from the incompetent upper management team,
    Customer satisfaction system where you're guilty until proven innocent, the most insane management style I have seen in over 20 years of restaurant management experience
    Bonus system targets are almost impossible to reach, high turnover of managers (that's if they can even get managers)
    Work at least 70 hours a week and management expectation is that you're available even on vacations and days off
    I could go on and on, but recommend anyone considerating working at Steak N Shake to look at other alternatives unless your completely desperate

Advice to Management

What a joke of management style. Only thing this management cares about is reaching their numbers so they can fill their pockets with bonuses, no respect or care for the team which makes it all possible from them to even get a bonus. Good luck to anyone even considering working at Steak N Shake as a GM.