Steak n Shake
www.steaknshake.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Easy to get hired, but basically fast-food sit-down

Sever (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

ProsIt's easy to get hired at the erstwhile Steak 'n Shake, but that being the case, some of your coworkers will be typical fast-food types. Most were cool, some were idiots.

ConsThe pay is low for what you do. Low prices (all those meals under $4) mean that often a table of four only yields $4-5 in tip, far below what would be offered at a more prestigious establishment.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise prices and quality of food, Steak 'n Shake is a classic American brand and should be treated as such, instead of the Waffle House competitor is has become.

Horrible

Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time for more than a year

Pros: The best thing about working for Steak n Shake are… Cons: Staff is overworked. Servers are expected to do the job of server, host, cashier, busser and food runner. … Advice to Senior Management: Push for an employee to cover each station instead of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Select the Best, Pay them Minimally!

Steak N Shake (Former Employee)
    Frankfort, IL

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Fast-Paced work environment Hard work is noticed if you have decent upper management Free meals up to $12 per day pre-tax Decent Benefits Opportunity for moving up - company… Cons: Very Low pay considering the work/hours/responsibilities Minimal opportunity for pay raises unless you are promoted (even for very high performing managers) Extremely high associate turnover rate from… Advice to Senior Management: Stop demanding more and more while giving less and less! Forget your bottom line and maybe you'll see an increase in your stores' performance, and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Steak n Shake.

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Steak n Shake reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Steak n Shake CEO Sardar Biglari. All reviews posted anonymously by Steak n Shake employees.