There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

Decent enough

I worked at Steak n Shake

Pros

Not overly stressful
Flexible schedule
great training

Cons

Long hours and Not great pay

318 Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake (View Most Recent)

Easy to get hired, but basically fast-food sit-down

Former Employee - Sever  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sever in Columbus, OH

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's easy to get hired at the erstwhile Steak 'n Shake, but that being the case, some of your coworkers will be typical fast-food types. Most were cool, some were idiots.

Cons

The pay is low for what you do. Low prices (all those meals under $4) mean that often a table of four only yields $4-5 in tip, far below what would be offered at a more prestigious establishment.

Raise prices and quality of food, Steak 'n Shake is a classic American brand and should be treated as such, instead of the Waffle House competitor is has become.

Select the Best, Pay them Minimally!

Former Employee - Steak N Shake  in  Frankfort, IL
    Former Employee - Steak N Shake in Frankfort, IL

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast-Paced work environment
    Hard work is noticed if you have decent upper management
    Free meals up to $12 per day pre-tax
    Decent Benefits
    Opportunity for moving up - company is rapidly expanding, so corporate positions and franchisee positions are constantly opening up
    2 weeks paid vacation, 2 floating holidays
    Quarterly bonus pay based on store performance

You develop a rapport and camaraderie with fellow associates and managers (if the managers are decent) because you spend so much time with them. It's a great feeling walking out of a busy shift that runs well (quite frankly it doesn't happen very often) because it certainly requires every bit of your attention both mentally and physically, and your associates and upper management respect you for it. If you enjoy customer interactions, there is a lot of opportunity for that here. There is a lot of interaction and contact between your and your General Manager and District Manager.

Cons

Very Low pay considering the work/hours/responsibilities
    Minimal opportunity for pay raises unless you are promoted (even for very high performing managers)
    Extremely high associate turnover rate from management down to entry level associates - makes it difficult to build a team
    Very high, near unreasonable expectations from corporate concerning store metrics and operations
    Consistently dealing with either incompetent management (upper and lower) and/or incompetent associates
    Extremely long hours - 50 hours per week minimum ( five 10-hour shifts), often work in excess of 60 hours
    Management responsible for every aspect of store operations from working one specific station all the way up to HR duties, store landscaping, store maintenance, etc.
    Systemic Incompetence at EVERY level of operations from entry level all the way to upper management
    Company is transitioning to maximum 28-hour work week for hourly associates to avert offering insurance - makes it difficult to attract decent, qualified applicants
    Work late nights, early mornings, weekends week-in, week-out
    Company focuses a lot on profits and store metrics. Customer satisfaction seems to be an afterthought which makes it difficult to build sales and acquire a good reputation in the area
    Extremely low pay for entry-level associates, extremely high expectations and excessive responsibilities for them harbors a very poor morale and negative culture (causes high turnover rate and customer complaints; customers don't like grumpy servers!)
    Excessive amounts of paperwork required for associate station certification, delegated to one manager with no raise in pay
    Very difficult to get fired (this is a con because it means even the worst associates and managers continue to perform poorly with no repercussions)

Cons unfortunately massively outweigh the pros in my opinion. I don't mean to 'toot my horn' per se, but I was a very good manager, and I consistently worked alongside incompetent managers and associates. I was delegated excessive responsibilities with no compensation. I never got a raise nor was I offered one until I put in my two weeks (2% raise!). I was responsible for associate certification paperwork as well as drive thru time metrics. I did grocery orders and put up the orders when they came in at 2am (I was scheduled 3p-1a!). My store ran perfect metrics for 6 months straight (14 pts out of a possible 14), but they seemed offended that I expected a raise as a result.

Overall, the company delegates massive responsibilities to its store associates, managers and associates alike, but constantly takes from them. Takes benefits, takes pay raises, cuts their hours, cuts their pay, all while telling them it's a privilege for them to work there.

Look elsewhere, please! The stress is not worth the pay.

Stop demanding more and more while giving less and less! Forget your bottom line and maybe you'll see an increase in your stores' performance, and subsequently customer satisfaction and profits. You can't chop away at the legs of those responsible for running your business and expect to see a positive effect as a result!

Stop making servers who are paid $4.95/hour on third shift deck scrub the dining room three times a week and they won't walk out on a shift. Stop expecting managers who are scheduled off at 3a to stay until 7a after a 10 hour shift because the aforementioned server got fed up with the crap. Stop expecting one production associate to run the entire kitchen after 2am and your drive thru times and customer satisfaction metrics will improve. Stop expecting managers to cut associates early on weekends and your customer satisfaction will improve because the customers will actually ENJOY their experience and come back (higher profits!). Stop calling your interview process "Select the Best" and then paying ALL new associates minimum wage and you'll attract better, more qualified workers (perhaps the best!). Stop rolling out new products that even you at the corporate level are unprepared for (the $4 menu rollout was hilarious and systemically doomed from day one. The biggest rollout in the company's history, and ironically the one they were the least prepared for. It was truly pathetic.) Stop hammering away at drive-thru times! 2:15 isn't that far from 2:30! Customers want their food hot and correct! Not given to them 15 seconds quicker, cold , and incorrectly and poorly put together! Stop hiring unqualified managers and harboring the poorly performing ones, and your stores will run smoother. Ease up on labor expectations. If I have to cut all my associates at 3p because it's slow and you demand me run -1 hours budgeted to actual, and I have to complete inventory, line check, and health standard checks, I can't be wearing a headset to take drive-thrus and make shakes!

Make an investment in your business, and you see profits! Hire a cleaning crew to come clean your floors once a month, hire landscapers to groom your exterior once a week. Replace broken equipment. Offer a viable career option to entry level associates with appropriate compensation. Hire an office manager for each store, not one for 86. Reward your highly performing managers! A meager quarterly bonus that adds up to 1% additional to salary does not cut it!

There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!