Great first job

Former Employee - Server
Former Employee - Server

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was my first job and it was hard work, but it was quite rewarding. My managers and general manager were great people and my district manager recognized me for calls she received about good service I provided. They reward people that do a good job. Because it's 24 hours, it fits well with the hours of a busy student. The company culture is conservative but friendly. I felt right at home here.

Cons

As with any job in restaurant service, the pay is not going to be excellent, but it's highly dependent on your effort. If you're efficient and you can upsell, then you'll be doing a lot better on an hourly basis than most people in similar entry-level jobs, and you can get more hours because the store is always open.

Advice to Management

Stable prices for years while others have been ratcheting them up. Quality of the stores I've visited has not slipped. Lots of great people work for this company. Management- keep up the good work.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. promised change that is nonexistent and never happens

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

meet new people, learn new skill, interaction with the public, multi-taskin between different responsibilities

Cons

management, no reviews, no pay increase by seniority; have to beg for it, cross-training people on every aspect, but they don't want too

Advice to Management

you the best of best? review everybody and get rid of those that can not perform their job title properly

2. Great atmosphere, flexible hours, perfect first job.

Current Employee - Server in Woodhaven, MI
    Current Employee - Server in Woodhaven, MI

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, positive environment, proper training. Hours flexible around school scheudle. Open 24 hours Great opportunities for advancement

Cons

Majority of income depends on tips. Pay could be very inconsistant from month to month. Menu and job procedures change frequently.