Some things to change...

Former Employee - Crew in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Crew in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company kept me at work so often, that I barely had the opportunity to save money. When I started to go back to school, they worked with my schedule for a month, and then started throwing me on 3rd and 2nd shift, while I had a course load of 18 credit hours.

Cons

Managers are under a lot of stress from the District Managers to keep DT times down, which is definitely causing quality to suffer. Some managers insist on micromanaging, often getting in the way during rushes. The company used me, and I devoted 4 years of my life to them, with no thanks.

Advice to Management

Chill out, your customers would MUCH rather have QUALITY food, with a slightly longer wait than FAST food with a shorter wait.

Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake

1. Results based company with little support for achieving the results.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A competitive medical benefits package

Cons

Long hours with 24-7 on call expectations.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Provide the necessary tools to meet corporate expectations.

2. Great first job

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was my first job and it was hard work, but it was quite rewarding. My managers and general manager were great people and my district manager recognized me for calls she received about good service I provided. They reward people that do a good job. Because it's 24 hours, it fits well with the hours of a busy student. The company culture is conservative but friendly. I felt right at home here.

Cons

As with any job in restaurant service, the pay is not going to be excellent, but it's highly dependent on your effort. If you're efficient and you can upsell, then you'll be doing a lot better on an hourly basis than most people in similar entry-level jobs, and you can get more hours because the store is always open.

Advice to Management

Stable prices for years while others have been ratcheting them up. Quality of the stores I've visited has not slipped. Lots of great people work for this company. Management- keep up the good work.