There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

Fast casual or fast food?

Current Employee - General Manager
Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training, great teammates, good support from above store leaders, great product if you make it right and at very low prices.

Cons

It is not define what we are? Not very clear our target customer, our focus, etc prices are too low to afford the right amount of crew.

320 Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake (View Most Recent)

Steak N Shake

Current Employee - Drive-Thru Operator  in  Wyoming, MI
    Current Employee - Drive-Thru Operator in Wyoming, MI

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very few things to speak well about

Cons

Bad hours, terrible pay, bad management

Quit

Unappreciated, screwed out of money-

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Warner Robins, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warner Robins, GA

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Quick table turnovers, plenty of hours. The customers are generally elderly and have plenty of wisdom and laughter to share.

Cons

Medical emergencies and family deaths are considered bothersome and inconvenient. Family owned franchise, each member using intimidation techniques to get what they want out of the staff. Management will erase employees hours (I'm talking general management) and shave off what they see fit. Not only is sexual harassment widely accepted, its encouraged and those with an issue are hushed. Being a 24 hr. establishment, 17 hr. shifts are not uncommon. Staff is often hospitalized from dehydration and exhaustion- employees are not allowed to drink, even water. Scheduling is a joke, high school students are scheduled to work mornings on week days and requests for days off are not even glanced at.There are two African American on staff currently, working only a few hours a month, and having only been hired because management would get in their pants because "they're hot for black girls". Servers in training receive $2.13/hr and don't keep their tips either. Anyone closely involved is horrified by what gets swept under the rug. I'll proudly walk away from this company with my hands clean, and a weight lifted off of my shoulders.

Reduce tension in the workplace, be more professional with employees, and consider allowing your employees to swig water every once in awhile.

There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!