Steak n Shake

www.steaknshake.com
  www.steaknshake.com
There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

Fast casual or fast food?

Current Employee - General Manager
Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training, great teammates, good support from above store leaders, great product if you make it right and at very low prices.

Cons

It is not define what we are? Not very clear our target customer, our focus, etc prices are too low to afford the right amount of crew.

350 Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake (View Most Recent)

Great Discount, Zero Respect for Employees

Former Employee - Production Trainer in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Production Trainer in Springfield, MO

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun mix of coworkers from different backgrounds, excellent discount, different stations to learn on the production line to keep you from getting bored in one position, it's actually a pretty fun work environment at times. It's pretty shocking to them when you make it a month, so if you are a hard worker with half a brain, you'll probably be promoted quickly.
    Store/shift managers were usually pretty cool, its the higher up ones who were awful.

Cons

You'll smell like grease constantly, the turn over is high so management has no respect for employees, you'll be overwhelmingly busy one hour and painfully bored/slow the next, the "pay raises" you're supposed to get every so often for working there a certain amount of time basically never happen

Treat your employees with respect, and you won't have to hire new ones so often. Keep and enforce your own policies, especially the ones that benefit the staff, and you will have harder working employees because of it.

Bittersweet

Former Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Old version of this giant corporation, changed my life. I poured my heart and soul into my dedication to my work and personal development

Cons

Changing economy, government and above store leaders. Some change is good, some is unavoidable, some are petty. Changing geographic area also has been a killer for me. Not so much corporation issue, as direct leadership and direct district issue. Professionalism and productivity is lacking. Consistency and accountability in certain locations are low.

Take care to have open communication-always listen to the field. Too many irons in the fire-its overwhelming to simply run a shift sometimes. Too much fear implemented, not enough coaching to give info accurately through out the entire corporation. Training Dept is terrible

There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake