There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

Opportunity for growth, not a lot of money on the management side of things.

I worked at Steak n Shake

Pros

Friendly work environment, opportunity for advancement, good hours.

Cons

Shift managers generally make less money than servers and they work long hours.

reviews filtered by
  1. General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a general manager I can somewhat make my own schedule, although they give you an 11 point guideline you must meet

Cons

What isn't a con with this company. They micro manage EVERYTHING!!! They hire a lot of men managers that sexually harrass the female servers, then give them a slap on the hand and fire the employee. (I'm a female, but i've seen this many times.) The company as a whole is anti female. They never pay your bonuses out on time, and they change the bonus plan multiple times a year then expect you to memorize how this structure works overnight. They come up with a "new crazy rule" every so often. The newest one is managers can't be in the office from 11am-330pm and then 6pm-10pm. So even if I have ONE table in the dining room at 3 pm I'm not supposed to enter the office and work on any paperwork type stuff until 330. It's very insulting that you don't trust me as a general manager to run my store.

Advice to Management

Just let us run the D*** stores. If they are green get out of our way and stop nitpicking EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING. And stop setting unrealistic expectations of us, with minimum staffing...stop changing what you want every 5 seconds.

2. This job taught me a lot of things.

Former Employee - Hostess
    Former Employee - Hostess

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Usually the coworkers and managers are fun to be around. Everyone for the most part is personable. Managers ALWAYS lend a hand. I learned about organization and efficiency while working here.

Cons

As a hostess, I always worked long hours (8-10). Only two days week. Breaks were always short . I don't understand why we never had a busser. Hosts always end up bussing every table because servers are lagging. Call you in the last minute or day before to see if you can work. They always put only two people on the cash register when there is 60 people in the restaurant eating and 20 people working. Training was inadequate. For minimum wage, seating customers, running cash, bussing, and doing side work is not worth it. Always hosting by yourself or with someone only until 4 or 5.

Advice to Management

There needs to be at least two bussers on the floor. Their should be at least two people who run the cash register and NOTHING ELSE. There should be at least two hosts from 12 pm to 10 pm on weekends. Managers need to stop short changing and hire the right amount of people. There is no reason why staff should be running short. Take time out to train your employees adequately. Please keep facilities cleaner and the schedule should be set in stone once it is up.

There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake