Steak n Shake

www.steaknshake.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

Over 10 years there. Advancement is limited once at a GM level.

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent money, good table turns for service

Cons

long hours, put into bad stores, no set up or help from corporate to clean up stores that are bad except to put a green manager in unit and say fix it
open holidays
production staff underpaid to handle everything they must do.

Set up a team and focus on the stores that are doing poorly. Make a 2nd type Wings Team to help this happen

378 Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake (View Most Recent)

This job taught me a lot of things.

Former Employee - Hostess
    Former Employee - Hostess

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Usually the coworkers and managers are fun to be around. Everyone for the most part is personable. Managers ALWAYS lend a hand. I learned about organization and efficiency while working here.

Cons

As a hostess, I always worked long hours (8-10). Only two days week. Breaks were always short . I don't understand why we never had a busser. Hosts always end up bussing every table because servers are lagging. Call you in the last minute or day before to see if you can work. They always put only two people on the cash register when there is 60 people in the restaurant eating and 20 people working. Training was inadequate. For minimum wage, seating customers, running cash, bussing, and doing side work is not worth it. Always hosting by yourself or with someone only until 4 or 5.

There needs to be at least two bussers on the floor. Their should be at least two people who run the cash register and NOTHING ELSE. There should be at least two hosts from 12 pm to 10 pm on weekends. Managers need to stop short changing and hire the right amount of people. There is no reason why staff should be running short. Take time out to train your employees adequately. Please keep facilities cleaner and the schedule should be set in stone once it is up.

Steakn'Shake has given quick advancement, and while it is high stress, it has been the best money and benefits for me.

Current Employee - Operation Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Operation Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Quick advancement, flexible hours, decent benefits for managers, vacation for managers, often approved requests off for associates and management.

Cons

High stress, High turn-over of employees, Sometimes poor management, long hours at times, never leave at scheduled time-off.

Started as server and promoted to Operation Supervisor within 1.5 years of starting

There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake