Manager

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company constantly growing. Room for advancement.

Cons

Company over the last couple of years seem unorganized. Could be just my district. But its been bad for years.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Manager In Training

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money is ok in management if you don't mind 60 hours per week

Cons

Work life balance is non existent. Truly this location was an absolute top to bottom mess.

Too much work for the money

Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Early opportunities for promotion, company is constantly growing, wings team provides an early opportunity to travel for work at steak n shake's expense.

Cons

Low pay. High work expectation. Low bonuses for salary. 28 hour a week maximum to most hourly associates due to the company not wanting to pay for insurance for full-time associates.

Advice to Management

I was a salaried internal promotes manager. I started as nothing but a Drive Thru Operator and within a year I was promoted to the hourly manager position of Operations Supervisor. Getting this promotion so quickly was a good opportunity to get me near management without a college education or previous management experience but after I accepted a salary position I felt why it was probably so easy to get up to that point. Internally promotion managers are offered less money than external and I felt that was because they knew most of us would agree to almost any salaried amount of money after being almost at minimum wage for so long. They also give you a scheduled 50 hours a week even though it says 40 in the job description. And if you're working at a 24/7 restaurant you can be sure that 50 will come out close to 60 without any extra pay. After the 28 hour a week rule came into effect you are also expected to run the same kind of performance with less associates. Also the lss labor system that Steak 'n Shake runs off of assures you that you will almost always have either too little or too many people working and that will account for a lot of complaints. I don't know one store that is functioning perfectly. I just feel it's too much work than you get paid for. After 6 months in the salary position I decided I was going to leave and start from scratch somewhere else.

Steak 'n Shake wants to provide people with an experience that is definitely higher quality than fast food but allows people to pay less than that of mcdonalds and Burger King. So basically the company as a whole is making less money to work harder., just to consistently get complaints to blame their managers on. And expect to work holidays, including Christmas, a full 10 hour shift minimum.