There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

Plenty of Opportunity

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time

Pros

Very many area locations, so there is a lot of room for growth. If you are a great Leader, you can get to the GM level quickly. It's only up to YOU.

Cons

Challenging, 24 hours, ever changing menu and very fast paced.

reviews filtered by
  1. FIne as a high school job

Current Employee - Server in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Server in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I got to keep all tips and had pretty decent scheduling. Culture is nice assuming you are friends with everyone.

Cons

So much disorganization and favoritism. Way too many inappropriate relations and interactions between managers and employees. The district management is horrible. I was constantly doing way more than I supposed to be doing and always had to cross over into other areas to get stuff done.

Be professional.

Great Food, upper management is just about worthless

Current Employee - Manager Trainee
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

Has great food and vision for the company. Willing to work around your schedule. Most of the workers and customers are great. The training program in this company for both management and employees is the best I have seen in food service.

Cons

To worried about drive thru times, that causes the inside guest to have to wait longer than they should because they take food that was cooked for the inside and send it out the drive thru. company is very short on management but not to worried about filling them, it took them 2 1/2 months to due 1 interview and start my training after they said they were interested in me moving up to management. Also company doesn't want to pay for your experience, so they can't keep the better managers. Pay across the board is 15 to 20 percent below average for fast food.

Management above store level do what you say you are going to do. Try and take care of your personnel they are the ones making the company money and giving you a job. Adjust the third shift operations.

There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake