Steak n Shake

It was a good first job

Former Employee - Cashier
Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time

Pros

The people were nice to talk to, because everyone was in the same boat. Discounts on food when you were off the clock.

Cons

The pay was low (min wage), training was rough because it was so fast paced.

350 Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake (View Most Recent)

DREADFUL!

Current Employee - Prep
    Current Employee - Prep

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

40% discount for employees, easy to get time off and a few decent employees who actually care.

Cons

New no more than 30 hours/week policy (at least in my district), low pay for expected work, management, favoritism. Good and hard working employees get paid less than new employees. You'll find yourself doing(and expected to do) everyone else's job including the managers most of the time. It is hard to be motivated when you're constantly having to come into work and babysit your coworkers. This company has absolutely no loyalty to their employees. What a joke!

Employees (who actually work hard and care) should be recognized more often. I've had really great co workers who go above and beyond but never get noticed or appreciated for their hard work.

The experience is horrible.

Current Employee - Fountain Operator in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Fountain Operator in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only "pro" there is working at Steak n Shake is that my start pay was $8.00 a hr and awesome Co workers. Oh, and they gave a constant hours.

Cons

Everything about the company is horrible. When you come in for the interview they talk you up and get you ready but once you are hired they change. They are always down grading their employees. Management does not work well with each other. One manager will tell you to do this while the other tells you to that. It was a horrible experience as my first job.

Improve everything about yourselves