There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

Please Read If You Are Considering A Management Position With Steak N Shake

Former Employee - General Manager in Louisville, KY
Former Employee - General Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Steak n Shake

Pros

Weekly Meetings at offsite locations
working with some nice people
Learning about the restaurant industry
Free meals for managers
learn how to deal with drama

Cons

Stress level of gigantic proportions
Impossible goals set by corporate
Absolutely no home life
open 24/7 makes for phone calls at home at all hours of the night
What can I say I have been a retail manager for over 25 years. I decided to try the restaurant industry as a new learning experience and as a change of pace.
What a huge mistake that was. I don't even know whre to begin. I was a GM for 1 year. It was a one year nightmare. While I had my store running 12 to 13 out of a possible 14 points every month, I hated every minute of it.
The lowest class customers imaginable, employees that had more personal issues than enough and managers that felt that there was no life outside of SNS'
Even on days off you were expected to be checking your numbers and calling your store. I couldn't sleep or eat because of the stress. Third shift was a nightmare. Could not find decent help and our reestaurant was very busy on third shift.
Losing out on great new people because of a small tatoos that was visible.
Assistant managers that are lazy and incompetent.
Could not do the job because you are asked to work busiest hours, so there was no time for an sort of logistical tasks to be completed , unless you did them from home. Restauraants should be kept clean, but when you are busy all the time there is no time to clean
In my honest opinion, I would rather be unemployed and homeless, than accept a managers position at SNS
By the way SNS needs to rethink their scare tactic of just be lucky to be employedI had a new job back in retail 3 days after leaving SNS, for the same money and 1000% less stress

Corporate need to realize that in order to properly run a business you must be given the appropriate tools. Those tools are people. Close restaurants at a reasonable hour' Even the stores that are busy. The stress level to run 24/7 is not worth the profit

326 Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake (View Most Recent)

The best part of working here is going home.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

Coworkers - Most of the people you work with are competent, humorous, and willing to give a lending hand when you really need it. If you like the idea of making lasting friends at your workplace, this is a fairly good place to do so.

Scheduling - You can (usually) get days off when you ask for them, barring some big spending days like Black Friday or the day after Christmas.

Managers - All of the managers are more or less competent; and if you catch them in a good mood they are all fun to be around. When it gets truly hectic you can trust that any one of the managers will help out wherever needed and they will at the least stay until things calm down. It is important to remember that the managers are all at least somewhat overworked, and they are not treated much better than we are where the company is concerned.

Benefits - Forty Percent employee discounts, some health insurance available, some stock options.

General - The job is minimum wage, but they are willing to give plenty of hours and servers can make good tips.

Cons

Coworkers - Some of the people you work with will do most anything they can to avoid actually working; and what work they do attempt is often poorly done. Those guilty of this usually don't last long, but there are always more ready to take their place, and it does not help that management rarely fires anyone.

Scheduling - In general schedules are never made in a sound, logical manner. Regular mistakes include scheduling associates outside of their availability, "forgetting" that someone asked off for a day, assigning far too many or way too few people for a shift (especially a problem for night shifts), and not accounting for time needed to complete side work such as stocking and cleaning. Also it should be noted that occasionally the schedule will be altered after having been posted, and so it is possible to be written up for a no call/no show on a shift you did not know you had (although as noted above it is unlikely you would be terminated even if you failed to show on purpose.)

Managers - Leadership is a real problem with most of the managers, at least at this location. If something an associate does upsets a manager there are usually only two kinds of responses if it was not a firing offense: they will have a third employee tell the associate that the manager is cross at them (basically like passing a note conveying unhappiness but no real threats), or they will begin a direct confrontation with the associate in the middle of the store (which quite often devolves into a screaming match or the employee walking out or both.) During the day most of the managers watch over your shoulder while you work, sometimes pointing out that you made a mistake but only rarely explaining how to fix it; and at night they tend to avoid coming out of the office for less than dire situations.

Benefits - Employee discount was sixty-five percent when I started, and you got it any day you worked; now the discount if forty percent, and you have to be working more than four hours to get it, and it caps out at ten dollars before the discount (meaning that if you eat more than ten dollars worth of food then the ten becomes six and above that you pay full price.) The health insurance available to non-managers is laughable, paid vacations for non-managers disappeared nearly two years ago, and the stock options open to employees are mostly just for show.

General - The job is minimum wage and unless you become a Trainer, Supervisor, or Manager it is exceedingly unlikely that you will ever get a raise. (for instance, one of the supervisors just now got the raise for the supervising position they have been doing for over a year.) This is not a job to be proud of; at the end of the day the only thing you can say you have done is made some people not hungry anymore.

Managers - If you are having a problem with an associate, you should talk to them about it. Don't yell, criticize, or make someone else deal with them; just talk.

Corporate "Leaders" - Consider taking a ten percent cut in salary for a year or too, instead of taking all of our benefits in exchange for YOU continuing to get raises and bonuses. I am sure that I am biased against you, but that is really only a symptom of the problem; if you want your employees to not be so bitter, you could try truly explaining where all the money is going instead of just replying that we (Steak n' Shake as a whole) are broke.

Don't even consider it.

Former Employee - Manager in Orange Park, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Orange Park, FL

I worked at Steak n Shake

Pros

Some very good people work at Steak 'n Shake, unfortunately they are in the minority.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, no advancement, petty and vindictive "superiors", too much work to be done by too few hands, unnecessary quarterly "managers' meetings" at far flung locales just to play kiddie games are some of the cons of working there, and for some odd reason employees are never treated like adults. Bonuses (if you can reach the impossible goals set by the company) are a joke, classic "nickel and diming" all the way around.

Now that Biglari has taken over the company I think Steak 'n Shake will cease to be. Find yourselves other jobs as soon as you can.

There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake