There are newer employer reviews for Steelcase

Great people to work with. Strong team environment.

Current Employee - Workplace Consultant, Sales & Business Dev
Current Employee - Workplace Consultant, Sales & Business Dev

I have been working at Steelcase full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training and development of people is incredible. Opportunity to work on special projects is a strong plus. Great product to sell. Good reputation product quality.

Cons

Need to be relocatable to advance. Merit increases are cost of living usually and no discussion of how to increase your base salary. Local teams can be a challenge as there are usually some long term employees that struggle with embracing change.

Advice to Management

Make the path to monetary and career advancement more visible.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great team atmosphere in most departments, always liked working there

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Steelcase full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Management is generally very fair to employees, most despicable directors and managers that were there have been weeded out.
    - Good communication from admin. to employees
    - Very pro-family oriented, lots of flexability in schedules for family needs in most cases

Cons

- Frustrating to see the waste sometimes (in people, time and materials) and not be able to do anything about it
    - Its a big company and the wheels mostly move pretty slowly

Good job at a good company

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Steelcase full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay for interesting work, not a lot of long hours, great discounts on modern, high-quality furniture. The culture varies depending on the group you're in, but is positive overall.

The company trusts its employees, and allows us to take risks. Not micro-managing, definitely a sense of empowerment and responsibility.

Generous vacation policy for salaried. Great facilities, sometimes even living in the ideas we sell.

Lots of different areas of business you can work in, a big enough company to get real-world experience at a 'big' company that's actually small enough to navigate. Plenty of talented people around to network with, learn from, and listen to.

Managers have been fair and responsive. I've received fair pay increases and have seen my responsibilities grow, at least within my job title.

Despite some flaws, I like it here overall.

Cons

Difficult 'modernizing' has been code for decreasing pay, headcount, and benefits; offshoring manufacturing and closing local plants; replacing experienced employees with low-paid temps. It's been bad for the vibe, and some of the ways they've done it have been held up in academic circles as examples of what not to do (such as the lay-offs in early 2000s.) Saying 'every company does that' doesn't make it suck any less, the erosion of what used to be a better place for employees and for the community.

What used to be 'attract and retain the best talent' is more like 'attract and retain good enough talent', including senior leadership. It's been $3B a year, year in and year out, since the 1980s.

No defined management training programs, and the few to no positions to land in are usually held by lifers. Nobody recruiting obvious talent within, you have to play the game and hope for the best with no guarantees. Nepotism and cronyism rampant. Have no idea how some of these people landed 'there'. Some middle managers run their own little kingdoms with little to answer for.

Declining incentive to work here for a long career, as retirement benefits no longer exist (you and your 401k are on your own), retirement contributions come and go, bonus is a moving target designed to never exceed ~10%, and vacation never increases again once you reach the 5-year mark. Come for the facilities, pay, and culture, stay for the...?

Advice to Management

Give us a management training program, or at least a roadmap to follow that will actually lead somewhere. If I get an MBA, will Steelcase leverage it? Or pay me more? Or have a place for me to land? Or is there no incentive to develop, unless I plan on leaving?