Stella & Dot

www.stelladot.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Stella & Dot

Working @ Stella & Dot ( not as a stylist)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Stella & Dot

Pros

Open space and people open to new ideas

Cons

Chaotic management.
Unprofessional work environment.
Staff is hired and fired on whim!
No work-life flexibility
Lots and LOTS of politics that makes people think of leaving the minute they start work. Every 2 months I saw 5-6 leaving and 2-3 hired. Including the VPs and Managers! Bad sign!

Stop the Chaos, else you going down faster than lightening no matter how loudly the founder screams to show she is positive and nothing is wrong. We all know the company is sinking!

61 Other Employee Reviews for Stella & Dot (View Most Recent)

Toxic culture, NOT a tech company, executive team = sorority, sinking ship, a big lie

I worked at Stella & Dot full-time

Pros

Looking for mediocrity and complacency? This is the right company for you. You might even get promoted!
    Free $100 jewelry credit quarterly
    Coworkers - good people
    Free parking

Cons

Don't be tempted by what you see from the outside. Internally it is one big mess.
    A culture of imitation NOT a culture of innovation.
    Culture is REALLY toxic. Lots of politics and passive aggressive backstabbing.
    Smart and talented people leave running. Very high turnover, including exec levels.
         - Most of the smart execs left because they saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship before it sinks.
    What's left is a terrible and disconnected leadership team.
         - They spin "stories" to the CEO to gain approval and cover their mistakes.
         - It is always someone else's fault and they can do no wrong.
    Lots of time spent on immaterial decisions and no time spent on solving real problems.
    Lots of lip service but they are empty promises.
    No transparency nor honesty with the real issues afflicting the company.
    Encourages no accountability whatsoever, especially at the exec level.

Hires 3rd rate execs who never made it to exec level at bigger companies because they don't have the skills. HUGE reason why S&D is failing. Business is managed by a few bad execs. If bigger companies could not absorb the risk when they managed only a fraction of the business, then S&D should think twice to let them manage all of the business. Why do you think sales is declining and such high turn over? Keep telling yourself it is the industry.

Schizophrenic direction. One minute this is the new shiny object that is the big idea. The next minute it is something else. Teams will work months on a project then at the last minute and right before the deadline, leadership changes their mind. The teams will have to do everything over again in a fraction of the time. The thoughtful good work is dropped and what is adopted is usually something thrown together at the last minute with lots of unforeseen problems.

Listen to your employees and not the execs who feed you what you want to hear. They can tell you why things are or are not working with the business because they are closer to it.

Know your company's DNA. A growing start-up needs athletes with good decision making skills not politicking ivory tower specialists.

Let go of the the bad execs - the lapdogs. They are detrimental to growth of the business and bad for morale. They have cost the company millions $$ with their bad decisions. Don't be fooled by their politics.

Build trust with your employees through leading by example and through action.

Loved working at the DC

I worked at Stella & Dot

Pros

I really liked my supervisor on second shift and really enjoyed working with my coworkers. The hours were 5 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday so I liked that also.

Cons

People were on their cell phones all the time and I didn't like that. No one would do anything about it so I just gave up.

Walk the floor and enforce the rules that you don't want people to break.

There are newer employer reviews for Stella & Dot