Stella & Dot

www.stelladot.com
There are newer employer reviews for Stella & Dot

Amazing, powerful leadership with a focus on entrepreneurialism

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Stella & Dot

Pros

The top management is very focused on the expansion of the company, and in the CEO's words, "put more money in the hands of our valued Stylists". We internal folks behind the scenes at this powerhouse e-commerce DSA jewelry and lifestyle company live & breathe the mantra every day. We also are very focused the creation of a new platform to enhance the end user experience and create a unique social selling platform that will make our competitors cringe and scamper to copy. The Sequoia infusion of capital was just another testimony to the benchstrength we have in the top management team.

Cons

Seriously not many yet. They preach work/life balance, but as we all know during busy periods that is pretty much ignored and several departments have several employees burning the midnight oil to meet company-wide deliverables. The overall benefits package needs a complete and utter rehaul, and they can't seem to find an HR manager to suit the company's current needs plus growth, and the employees are still waiting......

Keep it going strong! A few small fixes to the employee benefit package, perhaps more mid-managment meetings across departmental lines to enhance communications. Not a whole lot of gripes honestly.

55 Other Employee Reviews for Stella & Dot (View Most Recent)

Fun but can be challenging and there are a lot of hidden expenses

I have been working at Stella & Dot

Pros

I am a new stylist. I've had a few parties and done well in comission and free rewards. The parties are fun and don't feel like a lot of hard work, of you're looking to make a little extra money and get some free jewelery, it's a great thing, but very hard to make a living off it full time

Cons

It can be very challenging to get people to host or become a stylist under you, if you want to move up in the ranks you must sponsor new stylists... Which then also means less people you can sell to. It's defininitely a pyramid scheme and not many people are able to make a living at it. What I really don't like is the hidden fees, they pay you on a Visa card yet charge you 1.50 per month to have the Visa card. Plus they charge to have a website? Stylist shipping is expensive, minimum 15$ per order, but it goes up depending on how much you order. They also charge you full tax on the price before discount, which not a lot of multilevel marketing companies do. It had left a bad taste in the mouth of some of my hostesses. In order to keep up with the constantly retiring line, you need to purchase new samples, and pay the tax and shipping, it gets expensive.

Don't charge tax on the price before discounts and stop retiring the line so often. Stop charging your stylists for their website and Visa card. You're constantly hitting them up for $$

Fake over-enthusiasm

Current Employee - Independent Stylist
    Current Employee - Independent Stylist

I have been working at Stella & Dot as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

-Nice jewellery when you get it for 50% off
    -You meet some great stylists
    -It's trendy

Cons

- Poor quality jewellery in a lot of instances
    - Home office doesn't want anyone to express anything negative on the public pages - I think it is to stifle complaints and prevent any mob mentality
    - Lack of transparency
    - Definitely not truthful about return rates, average hostess earrings, or best sellers
    - The home office is annoyingly excited and over enthusiastic
    - Lack of support for legitimate concerns
    - Leaders are too pushy
    - Some stylists are rude
    - No mater what is released, stylists will love it - even when it is ugly and over priced

Come down to earth.