Why work here?

Former Employee - Scientist  in  Northfield, IL
Former Employee - Scientist in Northfield, IL

I worked at Stepan

Pros

You need a job badly. You want to live in Chicago. You want to work for a smaller company. The company seems pretty stable, they continue to grow.

Cons

Family owned company...limited opportunity to advancement at senior levels. Not located in a convenient location...difficult to get to even though it's close to 94. Since it's essentially a chemical supplier to other industries you don't get the opportunity to do work that is fully relevant to the consumer. Stepan has not always had the most favorable enviromental impact. In the way past they were accused of dumping benzene in Mexico. I think they have worked to clean up their image since.

Bring in fresh blood from the outside.

Other Reviews for Stepan

If you have no ambition and just look for a job - go ahead you can retire here.

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Stepan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stepan company has a strong footprint in terms of production capabilities and Global locations. The company is well known and respected in various industries. The Salaries and benefits are average the work atmosphere is professional.

Cons

Problem is Senior Management and a total lack of leadership. Nobody seems to be accountable nor responsible for any Business decisions also if you look for a creative, innovative and inspiring place to work - stay away! This is an old school management style company and pretty much all important positions are filled with long term employees. The years of service are counting more than performance and achievements which is in my opinion a concept for failure long term. Younger, talented and ambitious employees have no change to impact the direction of the company and have no chance to move up the organization.

Start leading and start implementing change, get rid of continuously under performing Managers and Directors.

Very considerate company.

Former Employee - QA Specialist  in  San Antonio, Province of Batangas (Philippines)
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in San Antonio, Province of Batangas (Philippines)

I worked at Stepan as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

good work environment. i can say that the employees are quite satisfied with the company. the salary is not that big but they are very generous with the benefits (health card etc.). i'm only there for 2 months as a reliever, but this is what my workmates told me. i enjoyed working there.

Cons

never really stayed there for too long.

There are newer employer reviews for Stepan.

Worked for Stepan? Contribute to the Community!