There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Bancorp

Very professionl and well run bank.

Current Employee - Loan Officer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Loan Officer in New York, NY

I have been working at Sterling Bancorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

We have so many channels to approve mortgages. There isn't a bank in New York with more options.

Cons

The rates on our jumbo products usually lags the larger banks.

Keep up the good work!

reviews filtered by

Worst Employment Experience

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Sterling Bancorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My colleagues were for the most part great. They are all professional and knowledgeable.

Cons

When you are hired it seems that you will be earning a comparable salary and bonus structure to other bank's. Their contribution report keeps changing and there is no way to make money when they hit you for egregious charges. You are left to sink or swim as there is no leadership or management. Executive Management is just there to sell the company, make millions, and get out instead of creating a long lasting institution for their clients. This is a commercial bank that still is operating as a small upstate bank with those in charge having little experience in the market and clients they are serving and believe their way is best. There is absolutely no collaboration. Provident Bank under the new leadership is a disaster for Sterling which was a solid bank and brand in the market. Provident's leadership is destroying what is left of Sterling. Human Resources is a joke, when a complaint is made they never even bother to call you back.

Consistently lying to employees and not having a transparent written policy for your contribution report is ridiculous. Upper management continues to lie and are not there to support the business or deals. When you need a response on a deal or a form signed for a customer it takes weeks to track down and get a response from an executive. There is just absolutely zero executive support and the CEO is just focused on buying more banks, create more profits, and sell. I have never experienced a less professional atmosphere in my life.

Good benefits, but not a good company

I worked at Sterling Bancorp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The bank offers good benefits, such as health, dental and eye
    care, as well as a 401K.

Cons

Middle/District management in some of the financial centers lack leadership qualities and fail to foster a positive environment. They prefer to produce results through threats and intimidation. They care about sales, not the clients. They resemble playground bullies. There is no room for individuality.

My advice to upper management is to become more connected with the employees in their financial centers.

There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Bancorp