Sterling Commerce

Nice place

Former Employee - Desktop Technician in Dublin, OH
Former Employee - Desktop Technician in Dublin, OH

I worked at Sterling Commerce

Pros

Sterlign Commerce was a great place to work. Friendly employees, good managers, good benefits and supportive Human resources. Overall, recommended.

Cons

There seemed to alway be rumors of being bought or closed. Never really had a lot of confidence that I would be there for the long haul.

promote your people

86 Other Employee Reviews for Sterling Commerce (View Most Recent)

Erratic, sporadic, exciting, frustrating. Management seems uncertain.

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Lowell, MA

I worked at Sterling Commerce

Pros

Now that we're under IBM there seems to be a better sense of what the future roadmap strategy should be.

Cons

Management can be "folksy" but not very strategic in their technical understanding of what our customers really need. We should be able to lead our customers, not the other way around

Listen to your front line managers (sales and product) who work hands on with the customers and have a keener sense of what needs to be done.

Company Died When Sam Did

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Sterling Commerce

Pros

Nice Facility with free parking
    Basic Employee Benefits are Decent

Cons

Constant State of Layoffs
    Big Dreams by Executive Team with No Extra Resources to Achieve Those Dreams
    Executive Team is Concerned More About Themselves Than the Company
    All Decisions are really made by CFO.
    Executive Team and Ex-CEO were mainly evasive and dishonest in their communications and actions with employees.
    Ex-CEO was really just a mercenary and had no technical skills himself although he was supposed to be a technology leader. He never programmed a line of code in his life.
    Too many decisions made behind closed doors with a few friends of management ever knowing what was going on.
    Killer grapevine. The old secretaries pool was a source of constant "killer" gossip. Everyone's salary information and business was out there and being discussed.
    Middle Management was pretty incompetent and for the most part resting on their yrs of service. They mainly came to the company with good resumes and they all have pretty low technical and product knowledge.
    There is no master plan for the company. Just hit the EBITA targets and if you don't then group cuts and layoffs are the first and easiest answers.

It's pretty hopeless. You can't cut your way to greatness and you have no ideas. This place will be very lucky if it can stay open long enough to get all the source code moved to India.

There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Commerce