Sterling Jewelers

www.sterlingjewelers.com
  www.sterlingjewelers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers

Going in a great direction

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

New ideas and innovation with the management structure.

Cons

Scheduling inflexible. Store management can be overworked with little work-life balance.

Promotions should be based on overall ability to manage, staff, merchandise and protect company profits. Too much promotion based on sales ability only.

306 Other Employee Reviews for Sterling Jewelers (View Most Recent)

Sales first, People LAST

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Health insurance is very good. EVERY other aspect of working for this giant is a con though. CONS: They spend most of their time putting out fires at problem locations instead of building teams and relationships and developing people to foster change, they profile people with personality tests and go nuts about stupid things like a sign that an employee placed in the wrong window- they treat grown ups like children scolding and belittle them in front of other employees and customers. There is no culture, no structure, and people come LAST. I waited two years to write this so I would not be emotional but there is nothing good to say about this company, and I have worked for them in a multiple of states (3).

Cons

Assistant Managers are treated live slaves and store managers bartered like livestock. The company does not care about the talent and people that work at any location. The corporation creates "HOLIDAYS" or "special Events" because they think they are Halmark and create holidays that don't exist to make more sales. GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY They scare and intimidate people to get a sale at any cost, including integrity and threats...not a great atmosphere where they pit one against the other and MAKE PROMISES THEY HAVE NO INTENTION ON HONORING. I was the ONLY five of Five writer in the store consistently for all five years and my reward was a certificate that the paper wasn't even high enough quality to wipe with. If I could give Zero stars I would.

District managers should ALL be fired, along with Vice Pesidents !!! They need to start from scratch with a new mindset of people first things second. Also they should offer quality products instead of the crap they are now trying to pass as high quality, their charms are a joke as are the quality of their H line pearls and their cheap tacky silver collections...without the higher end pieces they had in past years sales cant line up. you can not sell 49 dollar products to a hundred people to make up for a five thousand dollar piece that is no longer available., also lowering the guest credit line does not help. This is from someone that maintained a five of five for the five years I worked for the company, but had to leave because lies, broken promises and Failure of Sterling to meet any expectation I had for an employer. Ultimately this employer is a HUGE FAIL!!

Want to make a deal with the devil?

Former Employee - Store Manager in Spotsylvania, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Spotsylvania, VA

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Discount and pay was good

Cons

This company will suck all of your morals out of your before you know it. The pressure to produce is so intense that you forget your principals. You will sell as much as you can to someone that you know should not be buying. You will beg your friends and family to apply for credit just to keep your job. The TV advertizements are so romantic and you would never imagine that the business is so sleezy. I am ashamed of what I did for them to keep my job!!! Check out the sex discrimination law suit going on since 2008. I know that those laidies are telling the truth. I was subject to that as well!! This company has long arms just like the IRS and if you anger them, they are capable of ruining your future with other companies. I was a "big fish" and when I resigned, they created great financial hardshiip for me and my family. It has been four years since I resigned. I was with them for over fifteen years. I found myself visitig a psycologist who told me to resign because they are evil.

There is no point. They are profit driven at any expense. My advise would do nothing!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers