Current Employee - Sales Associate in Melbourne, FL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lots experience on jewelry learnec

Cons

long shifts, short breaks, slow environment unless chrismass

Advice to Management

doing good so far

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

In the beginning----Awesome!!.....by the end----Awful!!

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you thrive in an environment where no cognitive thinking skills are required, no creativity is required and every aspect of your job has been predetermined for you....then this is the place for you!! The corporate culture or belief is that "all you have to do" is follow the "world class" systems, policies and procedures that they've created over the years and you'll be fine.

Cons

Over an eleven year career I watched the future success for this once great company gradually erode. In what appears to be an attempt to control every process of the customer experience the corporate vision has attempted to make every stores atmosphere, customer interaction and repair experience the same. The problem as I see it....not every customer is the same. Needless to say, neither are their employees. A culture of inspiration and development has been replaced by a systematic approach of accountability and termination. Example: First month not at 6 for 6 standards----verbal/written counseling, Second month not at 6 for 6 standards----written counseling, Third month not at 6 for 6 standards----termination.....Fortunately, I got out when I did and would encourage my friends still there to do the same. The current structure of this company will be non-existent within 10-15 years.

Advice to Management

As the leadership (specifically executive level) has become beholden to shareholders and the current stock price, the long term view is all but ignored in favor of "another good quarter". A formula that history has shown repeatedly just doesn't work. Come on Mark Light I know you love this company.....do something now while there is still time. Ask someone other than your VP's what's going on in the stores. Have a heart-to-heart with some of the thousands of $8 to $10 per hour sales associates in the field that make up the bulk of the employee force what it's like......I hope they have the courage to tell you.

16 yrs loyalty and dedication

Current Employee - Full Time Sales
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great training programs - opportunity for advancement
    fabulous 4th quarter incentive trip
    great discount on merchandise

Cons

low salaries- very rigid work schedules for store management- constant harassment to attain 6 standards- stressful work environment
    minimum expectation is perfection- not realistic

Advice to Management

lighten up on the credit app standard
    in this economy people don't want more credit cards they want quality merchandise at a fair price and good service