Sterling Jewelers

There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers

Credit authorizations

Former Employee - Credit Authorizations in Akron, OH
Former Employee - Credit Authorizations in Akron, OH

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Jewelry discount was great. Good health benefits. Very PC and HR friendly work environment if your in to that kind of thing. Great entry level position for young people. Good experience with credit and lending policy if you are looking to make a career in business I guess.

Cons

Must stay in current position for a year before being promoted. I started as seasonal and then went to full-time. No challenge in this position. Barely over minimum wage. 10.50/hr. Then you can shoot for an asst supervisor position after a year and make around 13/hr. You can do much better if you have a degree. RETAIL HOURS.

Allow more autonomy. Find ways to challenge young bright minds. Once people get throughthe seasonal work train them in lending policy so that the micro of the job fits into the macro. Credit can be exciting when you understand how each transaction fits into policy and departmental and company goals.

332 Other Employee Reviews for Sterling Jewelers (View Most Recent)

You definitely earn your dollar!

Current Employee - Jeweler/Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Jeweler/Shop Manager

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can see why working for a Sterling company as a sales associate can be incredibly stressful. Their standards are crazy, but on the other hand, they are necessary. As a retail corporation, they have to set aggressive standards. It means more money for them and, in turn, more money for you. In the repair shop, we have standards as well and it can get stressful if you allow it to.

Pros: awesome benefits, opportunities to learn (home office classes, DCA, GIA for shop managers-i definitely will be taking full advantage of these), GREAT discount on merchandise as well. If you have a good team in your shop, you really won't have to worry about too much. I have a great group of jewelers and apprentices as well as some outstanding people in my district that are willing to help when needed. JOB SECURITY! There is always work to which is something other competitors really can't promise.

My district manager doesn't micromanage (thank goodness)! She lets the shop managers run their shop. Downside, if your shop is doing really well, she won't come visit that much, this can be good and bad really. Good because who wants to see the DM all the time? But bad because the jewelers really enjoy that special attention and conversations from higher management. I know because I felt that way before I made management.

Cons

Cons: as I said before, it can be stressful if you let it. We do have standards to maintain (i.e. repair margins, supply dollars, quality control, etc). The majority of the standards are relatively...not easy to obtain, but very doable if you run your shop correctly. The toughest is the repair margins because you have VERY LITTLE control over it. It all depends on what the sales associates are charging in the stores. If they are charging correctly, then it affects your margins, which I think is completely unfair. The jewelers' bonuses are 100% based on whether or not the repair margin goal is met and the managers' bonus can be deducted, i think 15%, if it is not.

Recruiting....they want you to recruit new hires to have on the back burner. This isn't impossible but can be time consuming. I just choose not to do it unless I have to (shhh...don't tell lol)

LONG HOURS! As management, be expected to work 45 hrs a week (not too bad) until you hit the holidays then it is a fuzzy blur of 55-60 hr work weeks for about a month. But, it's retail so...should expect it.

Also, I wish the jewelry some of these stores sell was better quality. We literally fix the same things over and over again. They are starting to really push custom designs now which I support completely to get people away from buying some of the crap out the case.

My reason for 4 stars is simply because it isn't perfect. There are some things that I don't fully agree with but I do love working in my shop. All in all, life in the shop is what you make it.

Don't forget where you came from. Many DM's and higher ups started out in the repair shops as apprentices but once they get the high position, they "forget" about how things really run. Why not let those in the shop make suggestions on what some standards should be. If anyone really knows, we do.

Sterling Jewelers is a good company, but has forgotten its core...the people who made it who they are..the salespeople!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As one of the largest jewelry companies in the world, Sterling Jewelers offers a great benefits package. It is continuing to grow, with quality product, warranties, and service.

Cons

The commission structure within Sterling limits good sales people from achieving commission, because it is based on a store achieving goal. There is no incentive for individual top performers to continue to perform when they know they will not be rewarded for their efforts.

When a store achieves goal, at incremental levels, those achieving it should be awarded. Those that have surpassed store level (top performers) should be given bonus incentives. 1/2%. This would encourage top performers to continue to excel in low performing months, and prompt low performers to see where they could be at!

There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers