Sterling Jewelers

There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers

Great Company with Excellent Training

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation plans are specifically laid out and kept consistent. Excellent system of communicating tasks, deadlines and new information. Great training plans and materials in place for all aspects of each job.

Cons

As a store manager and above, your time is mostly spent in the store. Work-life balance is tilted mostly to work.

The right people will rise to high expectations and standards accountability. Creating an additional expectation allowing them to balance their life holistically, will bring about even greater satisfaction and performance.

332 Other Employee Reviews for Sterling Jewelers (View Most Recent)

Systems Analyst

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Akron, OH

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

cafeteria is phenomenal, the people are great, bonus structure and freebies are pretty good, work atmosphere not overly pushy, good culture.

Cons

When you get hired, rarely do you do what they hire you for. I was hired as a programmer (systems analyst) but I was there for almost a year and never touched the code. I wasn't ever going to touch the code either. I became a glorified research assistant for the project manager. So I left for a job where I am coding now. The work/home life balance is difficult. They say you can move shifts to accommodate doctor appointments, etc but then you get the stink eye when you come in.

Make sure you hire people with the correct job description. The turnover because of this is pretty extreme. Be honest with what the job entails and you will get better candidates and hires out of it.

Full Time Sales Associate at Kay's

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've worked in 2 stores. Completely different philosophies and atmospheres. Store 1: great manager. Great customers. Decent commission.

Cons

6 standards: sales, credit, warranties, repairs, payment protection plan, add-ons. All of these standards are ridiculous and workers get ZERO compensation for any of these besides sales. The highest commission for sales is 3%. Normally, a worker will get .5%(yes there is a decimal, meaning HALF). The worse incentives to sell ever. So you want me to get a bunch of credit applications and get no money out of it? That's cool. Oh, and they start people on minimum wage and lie by saying you can make a killing in commission. Bunch of bologna. Sterling, you make millions and millions and you mark up $500 rings to $2500 and all you can pay is below $8 hourly? Stop being so stingy. Rant done.

Stop being so pushy and unrealistic. Stop stealing sales. Stop sitting on the computer and having your workers call people into the store all shift long. Stop jumping in people's sales. Start leading by example. Start making people better and not just yourself.

There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers