There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers

All about selling gimmicks, not quality jewelry

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Sterling Jewelers part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, great discounts, learned a lot about mall jewelry stores

Cons

Low pay, tough to advance, cheap product, non educated associates. Was told my part time position could turn into full time but after 3 months my hours only got fewer and fewer. Had a few associates leave while I was there and instead of giving me more hours they were going to hire more people. There is an hourly pay rate which helps but then commission is practically nothing. Starts at 1/2 % and only goes up to a max of 3 %. That's ok if you're full time but on a part time schedule it wasn't worth the gas for me to drive there. Felt guilty selling crappy merchandise to customers. I have jewelry that's 100+ years old with no problems and yet had numerous customers bring in expensive rings with diamonds falling out after less than a month after purchase. If the customer didn't buy the warranty they had to pay for the labor to fix it. Management wouldn't tell them they could return the merchandise as defective. Total rip off. Very high pressure to get people to fill out credit apps. All the add ons like the warranty and credit app were emphasized more than the actual selling of jewelry. Many associates lack any type of education regarding jewelry. The "diamontologist" they brag about is a course from the DCA that teaches how to sell diamonds. Repairs are sent out to another location and take at least 2 weeks. Even though I got it at cost I never sent my jewelry in because of the crummy work I saw come back. Every morning you had to unpack all the jewelry that was stored in plastic tubs and locked in safe overnight. Every night you had to pack up all the merchandise to be stored in safe.

Hire better quality people and pay them more to reduce high turnover rates.

reviews filtered by

Lots of talent in the organization management lacks knowledge to leverage talent. -corporate office associate.

Current Employee - Analyst in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Akron, OH

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits package and job security. To get fired from Sterling you have to be a complete screw up. Flexibility for salaries employees.

Cons

Let me start off by saying there are some decent managers. But the majority of them lack vision or drive to take initiative and lead there team. There are too many managers who have been at Sterling for so long that they fail to recognize there is a different way to approach things other than the sterling way. Department heads are so petty that they hoard information and create an environment where we are competing against each other.

The pay is fine for Akron. If you compare your position to others in the same field in Cleveland or Columbus or even cinci. Its grotesquely low.

Reevaluate how you currently do things and see if there is a better way to approach. Take a second look at you associates they may have a skill that you find useful.

2. Growing Company Leaves Behind Employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- excellent benefits
    - excellent discount
    - has potential to be great environment given correct management team
    - only promote from within
    - involved with St. Jude foundation

Cons

- I tried to request the same 2 nights off every week so I could go back to school and was informed it is against policy
    - pay is embarrassingly low, commission doesn't offer the control of that you would think unless your store has high traffic
    - part of the job is soliciting passersby to open a credit card with the company
    - I personally had a very bad manager who has had numerous complaints brought against him and yet still somehow has his job
    - still goaled and expected to be in the store during snow storms and hurricanes

- start paying your employees for the level of work you wish them to do
    - don't promise tuition assistance on an interview if actually attending school while working for your company is against policy
    - don't ask your employees to risk their lives driving through a natural disaster to open a store in an empty mall

There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers