There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers

All about selling gimmicks, not quality jewelry

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Sterling Jewelers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, great discounts, learned a lot about mall jewelry stores

Cons

Low pay, tough to advance, cheap product, non educated associates. Was told my part time position could turn into full time but after 3 months my hours only got fewer and fewer. Had a few associates leave while I was there and instead of giving me more hours they were going to hire more people. There is an hourly pay rate which helps but then commission is practically nothing. Starts at 1/2 % and only goes up to a max of 3 %. That's ok if you're full time but on a part time schedule it wasn't worth the gas for me to drive there. Felt guilty selling crappy merchandise to customers. I have jewelry that's 100+ years old with no problems and yet had numerous customers bring in expensive rings with diamonds falling out after less than a month after purchase. If the customer didn't buy the warranty they had to pay for the labor to fix it. Management wouldn't tell them they could return the merchandise as defective. Total rip off. Very high pressure to get people to fill out credit apps. All the add ons like the warranty and credit app were emphasized more than the actual selling of jewelry. Many associates lack any type of education regarding jewelry. The "diamontologist" they brag about is a course from the DCA that teaches how to sell diamonds. Repairs are sent out to another location and take at least 2 weeks. Even though I got it at cost I never sent my jewelry in because of the crummy work I saw come back. Every morning you had to unpack all the jewelry that was stored in plastic tubs and locked in safe overnight. Every night you had to pack up all the merchandise to be stored in safe.

Advice to Management

Hire better quality people and pay them more to reduce high turnover rates.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Scheduling sucks!

Current Employee - Repair Liaison
    Current Employee - Repair Liaison

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The most laid back work environment ever. As long as you get the job done they don't seem to care how. Great benefits! Affordable health insurance, amazing discounts.

Cons

Lots of gossip, there's nothing else the sales team seems to do. Poor customer service. Work ALL weekends and tons of favoritism.

Advice to Management

Don't keep the same groups of people working together for so long.

2. Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Collections-60 in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Collections-60 in Akron, OH

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits - medical, dental, prescription card, stock options, growth opportunity, training, merchandise discounts, bonus potential, contests and rewards. They really work hard to make the job fun and exciting.

Cons

Challenging goals and this may require extra hours to achieve goals. But you get out of it what you put into it. These cons bring big rewards by getting monthly bonuses that are definitely rewarding. It is a very fast paced job.