Sterling Jewelers

There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Akron, OH
Former Employee - Manager in Akron, OH

I worked at Sterling Jewelers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are good. Medical, dental, vision, 401k, vacation and holiday pay. Debt free company with plenty of ability to relocate.

Cons

The pay is poor compared to the work required and the hours you have to work. Manager's hours are fixed and working 48hr+ a week leaves little or no time for family. I have worked in different positions in several of their brands ( JB Robinson, Jared The Galleria of Jewelry, and Kay's.) I have had different District Managers and Regional VPs and have seen no consistency with any of them. I have seen these managers have affairs and personally known them to have inappropriate contact with their managers and employees. This is common in my experience. I know this has been brought to the highest levels of management, but nothing is done to correct it. All that matters is your sales line today. If your numbers are there, you can get away with murder.
 The current management tag line is " Perception is reality". Meaning if they believe it or two people say it, it must be true. I hope they also apply that to the law suits against them for gender and race discrimination. They hold up upper management that are females and say " see we can't be discriminatory against women, we have female executives". Yea, sorta like saying " I can't be racist, I have a black friend". I have personally been told Sterling is and has promoted blacks over whites because of law suits and the need to appear non discriminatory.
 Also , don't believe there is an open door policy, if you complain to the wrong person about the wrong person, they'll find a reason to fire you. Mark Light is held up to the world as the new Messiah and the work Sterling does for St. Jude's . That's like saying Hilter was a great guy because he kissed babies during photo ops.
 If you need a job apply, just don't drink the Kool-aid.

Quit looking at reports and get back to talking to your employees. Many a great man has fallen by surrounding himself with "yes" men. This might be your Caligula moment.

306 Other Employee Reviews for Sterling Jewelers (View Most Recent)

Unrealistic goal expectations, poor quality merchandise

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Danville, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Danville, VA

I worked at Sterling Jewelers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fun merchandise, girls love jewelry

Cons

cheap quality, lots of customer service issues

Bad management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brownsville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brownsville, TX

I worked at Sterling Jewelers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount, love working hours, meeting new people

Cons

Assistant manager took my sales and brought it up to manager and didn't do anything about it. If you become too reliable for them they will take advantage of you.

There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers