There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers

Kay Jewelers - 2 thumbs down

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

You get to learn a lot about the diamond industry.

Cons

I thought Sterling Jewelers would be a great place to work. I had management experience and an MBA so I wanted to advance into management. I was told that I would move into the management training program within 3 months and it never happened. They only paid me a little above minimal wage. I accepted it although I did ask for more because I thought that it would be a temporary situation. They told me that the commissions would compensate for the low starting amount. They were wrong. The hours were long during the holidays and the commissions didn't pan out the way that they said they would. The other associates would steal your sales, it was a mess. I went seasonal after the holidays, just because of the discount.

Hire people with degrees that can appreciate someone like myself who has gone to school and want to use your business skills to increase your market shares. My manager did not have a degree and she made sure that she told me that what she makes there is what she would have made if she had gone to college. What a slap in the face for me. Such low class!!

287 Other Employee Reviews for Sterling Jewelers (View Most Recent)

Eh

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

Pretty calm sales environment compared to other fields

Cons

The recession has changed the face of luxuries sales therefore increasing demand on sales individuals performances

Listen to the feedback from the employees; they're the ones on the front line

Mis Managed

I have been working at Sterling Jewelers

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities to advance yourself within the company. If sales are your career of choice this is a great company to work for.

Cons

Some of the management practices are completely rediculous, why must your manager compete against their associates for sales? Nothing like creating a cut throat atmosphere instead of a true team effort.

be careful who you hire and watch how your managers are running the stores when they think no one is looking!

There are newer employer reviews for Sterling Jewelers