Poor experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Steve & Barry's

Pros

It was an extremely easy hiring process. I was hired on the spot with simply describing myself. The items there were cheap with a modest employee discount.

Cons

The hours given were horrible and the manager always remained in the backroom. I do not think my manager even remembered my team during the tenure I worked there.

The leadership is horrible with my experience with the manager. She never seemed positive and always changed the appearance of the store for no reason.

Other Reviews for Steve & Barry's

Run.....if they don't pay their bills, they won't be around long.

Former Employee - Store Level Manager  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Store Level Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Steve & Barry's

Pros

Individual store teams were fun. Easy going dress code. Products were fun to sell and customers were happy to get a good price.

Cons

Company was very poorly run, bordering on dishonest. Communication was horrible. What started out to be a rebel retailer turned out to be just incompetent crooks. Merchandise quality was often an embarassment. Selection was not seasonally correct.

Listen to the stores.

What not 'To Do' when running a business.

Former Employee - New Store Opening Director  in  Port Washington, NY
    Former Employee - New Store Opening Director in Port Washington, NY

I worked at Steve & Barry's

Pros

Just out of school and no experience. Was able to get hired and start paying school loans while looking for other opportunities. When I was there everyone thought that they were important. The poor store Directors had so much work to do just to satisfy all the crazy requests from the NYO office.

Cons

Private company...Owners had other plans. There was no real 'check & Balances' when it came to finances. This is what lead to its downfall. Also S&B made their money not by selling clothes but by opening stores. S&B was written checks by mall owners to come in and open a store. S&B would pocket the money and then build the store at minimal cost using the employees that they hired to work as sales associates.

Listen to what the pee-on's have to say.

There are newer employer reviews for Steve & Barry's.

Worked for Steve & Barry's? Contribute to the Community!