There are newer employer reviews for StoneRiver

Ok work but classic large enterprise experience.

Current Employee - Technical Architect in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Technical Architect in Denver, CO

I have been working at StoneRiver full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty good and the people are good to work with. In my particular case I can work from home a lot, but they aren't allowing that as much any more. The technology is ok to work with for the most part.

Cons

Large enterprise issues like complete hard drive encryption that slows the machines substantially.

Work isn't too challenging and there isn't a lot of room for creativity. No Macs allowed. The management talks of Best in Class software, but it isn't supported from top to bottom. E.g., we must use IBM Rational Functional Tester even though developers and QA all dislike it.

We have to use ClearCase even though nobody likes it.

We say we want best in class, but look to develop mobile solutions that are lowest common denominator-driven for ease of cross platform development (iOS & Android).

There isn't a EVP of Product Design, which I believe is required if you want best in class products.

Advice to Management

Hire an EVP of Product Design (see Sketching User Experiences, Bill Buxton).

Break up the big groups and let smaller, skunkworks style teams tackle specific problems. Stop offshoring -- get the best developers (see below) and put small groups to work: 4 or 5 to a team max.

Don't saddle developers with terrible tools or you won't get the best developers. These things will drive them away: ClearCase, Rational Functional Tester, MacAffe Endpoint Encryption (only use it where you HAVE to use it -- most of us don't have customer data on our systems).

Be open to non-enterprisey solutions to enterprise scale problems. Read 32Signals.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I love my job!!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at StoneRiver

Pros

Great people to work with
    Competitive Pay
    Good benefits
    Shows employee appreciation by extra events - Holiday party, Bingo, birthday celebrations, etc.
    Quarterly "Rapids" Awards
    Promotes from within
    Treats employees with respect
    Fantastic supervisor
    Flexible time off

Cons

My only complaint is that if you have a scheduled day off but work more than 40 hrs in that work week, you still have to use a vacation day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to look for new trends. Continue to show the hard workers that their posiitive attitude and hard work are appreciated. Keeping us informed and motivated helps improve morale.

Good place of employment but employee morale is declining steadily

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at StoneRiver

Pros

Ability to work from home on occassion, great benefit
    Competitive pay
    Great benefits including healthcare
    Very nice people to work with
    Friendly managers which makes one feel valued

Cons

Limited advancement potential
    Currently no bonuses or raises due to poor business performance
    Poor and declining employee morale, alot of turnover of senior employees
    Open cube work environment, very noisy and distracting when working

Advice to Management

At the end of the day it will be the employees in the trenches that make this a successful company and have made it such in the past. Through thick and thin some of the senior employees have perservered and stuck to it enabling this business to carry on even during rough times. We need to think outside the box on what it will take to improve employee morale and retain knowlegeable employees. One of the main pros listed repeatedly is job flexibiliy and work from home options. The ability to work from home is thoroughly entrenched in this workplace and is one of the few reasons some employees have not left. If we want to make a change to employee flexibiliy think carefully about making changes which will limit this flexibility furthering low morale and promoting additional turnover. If we don't have the knowledge to do the job needed in the end we all fail as well as our business.