Stonebridge Companies

There are newer employer reviews for Stonebridge Companies

Three Ring Circus

Former Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO
Former Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Stonebridge Companies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are some genuinely good, hard-working associates within the organization. Unfortunately, Senior Leadership doesn't care about them and/or takes advantage of them.

Cons

You are micro-managed to your breaking point. Make one mistake on a report and you'll hear about it from ten different people. Your job will be threatened if you don't perform to their expectations but don't expect any support on how to improve - only criticism. They hire people into senior leader positions who can't even write a coherent sentence or understand the operation but that person will expect you to jump through hoops like a circus poodle. Don't ever expect a pat-on-the-back or any kind of positive recognition - it doesn't happen. This company makes every effort to avoid expenses and will do it at the peril of their properties. For example, there is no capital planning - they do not have an FF&E fund for their hotels on an individual basis - rather they pool the funds and wait for an emergency. They are not associate focused. Senior leaders within the organization make unwelcome advances toward their direct reports via email and text messaging. You'll have every talking-head from the corporate office telling you how to run your business and they all have conflicting opinions. This literally is a THREE RING CIRCUS.

Value your associates! Hire the right people, pay them appriately, ensure that ongoing training happens. Support them and guide them. Don't micro-manage them - let them manage the business! Hire senior leaders who are SMART and who TRUE LEADERS - NOT MICROMANAGERS.

16 Other Employee Reviews for Stonebridge Companies (View Most Recent)

Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Property Accountant in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Property Accountant in Englewood, CO

I worked at Stonebridge Companies

Pros

They hire people with very little experience for substandard wages. This is a good way to get experience in the hospitality industry. They often hire people who are not qualified for their jobs and with little or no experience. Once you get in you will make a lot of mistakes and get none to very little support but you can really learn alot about the industry. It is very sink or swim and tons of overwork but you can really move up quickly as people leave the company for better paying jobs at other companies. This can allow you to get some great experience and move up the ladder more quickly.

Cons

They tend to use up people. People are constantly moving on to better paying jobs at other companies. This means that there are often voids in staff and they expect others to pitch in and get things done. It is a constant situation of understaffing. Since they don't offer standard rates of compensation positions go unfilled for long periods of time. There is not sense of urgency until the owner of the company or an investor needs information. Often the company does not pay for adequate systems or doesn't plan so after investing the minimum they have to "redo" or they run out.

Things would go more smoothly if people were paid adequately and positions were staffed adequately.

The #1 way to save money is to cut labor.

I worked at Stonebridge Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for promotions within the company. There are some strong General Managers in this company and a lot of really good people who work for them.

Cons

There is an atmosphere of, "The #1 way to save money is to cut labor." This leaves everybody with too much to do. This promotes anger and resentment amongst the staff. This also promotes poor customer service, as there are not enough staff to help all guests in need. Turnover at the hotel I worked at was over 200% some years, always at least 100% turnover. It is so obvious to me how much money they would save if they treated their employees right and dropped the turnover rate. Does it not cost the company $12,000 per person we hire that does not last? Brand training reiterates that fact over and over. If the company put more money towards growing and keeping employees as invested members of the team, the long term outcome would be a better product and better guest service. There is no budget for training. Salaried managers are expected to work at least 50 hours a week with no overtime compensation. The reality is 55-60 hours a week or more. If you don't put in the hours you are forever behind. They provide the least amount of training to General Managers. Some General Managers did not know about anniversaries, raises, or reviews. I once went 3 years without a review or raise. I also was not told I had personal days or vacation for those 3 years and lost them all. I did ask about what vacation I got several times and was brushed off. There is only one payroll person for the entire company, which means lots of payroll mistakes and problems. I've seen several employees quit after their paycheck is wrong several times in a row, despite the General Manager trying desperately to get it fixed. During slow season, we cut hours. I've had employees, who already live paycheck to paycheck, not be able to pay rent and lose their apartment during slow season. Seems to me like the company could use this time to do more training in customer service and do some much need deep cleaning.

You get out, what you put in. Put more focus on paying and treating your employees properly. Do not leave them on single staffed shifts when there should be 2 people working. Do not cut hours to save a buck. The company can afford a $1.5 million donation to a local college, the company can afford to pay their people properly. Don't forget the impact a forever rotating staff has on your guests.

There are newer employer reviews for Stonebridge Companies