There are newer employer reviews for Stop & Shop

Stop and Shop Review

Former Employee - Team Lead
Former Employee - Team Lead

I worked at Stop & Shop

Pros

Stability, get to meet lots of different people, it will give you alot of experience in dealing with all sorts of different people from many different backgrounds

Cons

Management is incompetent most times, promotions are usually given to those that the managers take a "liking" to if you know what I mean. The pay is low and your hours can be all over the place and that means definitley working weekends

Pay more attention to your employees and praise them for their commitment and dedication

371 Other Employee Reviews for Stop & Shop (View Most Recent)

Where am I going? What does my career look like a year from now?

Current Employee - GENERAL MERCHINDISE MANAGER in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - GENERAL MERCHINDISE MANAGER in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Stop & Shop

Pros

I like working for Stop & Shop because its a very dynamic environment. There are over a hundred employees in the store. We see thousands of customers a day. Each day brings new challenges and new experiences. Retail can be a very exciting job because it keeps you on your toes. Each week is new and each year allows you to learn from the last. The holidays can be a real rush. The preparation for the holiday and watching the sales come in and the product flying off the shelf is very exciting. Each store has unique challenges and unique opportunities, and the challenge is to meet and exceed those challenges.

Cons

The long hours suck. I often go in before 8 am and dont leave until 6. Nights are a requirement. Plan on working 3-12 often. If you can't imagine working that shift, then your not cut out for Stop & Shop. Plan on working 20 to 30 + miles from your house. It seems like they want you to travel at least a half or hour or more minimum to get to your job. There are stores in almost every community, but they want to make their managers travel. There is always the possibility that you will get transferred at a moments notice. I'm young, hardworking , qualified and ambitious, and educated, and I put up Christmas candy.

Give a review at 6 month intervals that comes with a real assesment of job performance. Give me a map of what my career path looks like. Right now I have no idea where I am going. I have years with Stop & Shop, since I was in highschool. I stayed working with them through college. Now that I am graduated from a good school, all they could offer me is GM Mgr. Where I am going, will they use me to my full potential? Do they know how hard I work? More interaction with the District Manager would be helpful.

Great Part-time Workplace

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in North Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in North Andover, MA

I worked at Stop & Shop

Pros

I worked at Stop& Shop part time as a high school and college student. I found the environment to be fun yet professional. There is also opportunity to advance through the company and I know a few fellow employees who have since returned to Stop & Shop as management. Lastly, due to the union the pay is better than comparable workplaces.

Cons

Management was not always as knowledgeable and helpful as one would have hoped. Also, the employee break room and other employee spaces were somewhat lacking and dirty.

n/a