Good High School Job

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Customer Service Department Head
Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Customer Service Department Head

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked here for 2 years in high school
Amazing part time benefits- paid vacation and sick hours after one year
Flexible scheduling and easy to take days off
Got promoted after 3 months

Cons

Low wages but raises twice a year

Advice to Management

My managers are very kind and friendly, only thing I would improve is to have better communication

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Like being in high school, only you don't get any recognition for a job well done.

Former Employee - Cashier in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is the only benefit to working at S&S. You get a 15 minute break on a 4-7 hour shift. You make about $32 for 4 hours of work.

Cons

Underpaid, overworked, bleak atmosphere. If you're between 19-25 and friendly with CSDH you (apparently) don't have to do any work and will never get reprimanded.

Advice to Management

Raises should be based on performance, not time spent in position. Night employees dump all the work onto one cashier and one extra person and run wild/hang out/do nothing (this includes floor supervisors). I worked very hard while I was there while I watched others chase each other around, throw things, yell unprofessionally in front of customers and it was largely ignored because important people (upper management) are only in the store during the day. If you want/need an extra job where you can (if you so choose) do almost nothing and get paid min wage, by all means, go for it. If you have work ethic and are frustrated by ignorant, lazy people, stay away.

A good job, but not a career .

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Under it's contract with the United Food and Commercial Workers union, Stop & Shop provides very good benefits. Even part-timers have guaranteed minimum hours, scheduled wage increases, health insurance, paid vacation, paid sick leave, and a 401(k) retirement plan with matching.

Overall, the employees are good people who are pleasant to work with.

Cons

There seems to be no room for advancement for part-time employees. The company has an "associate modular training program," but it is a fraud. When I inquired about it, I was told "We will not train you." Instead, I was presented with a list of topics and instructed to find the information myself. There was no manual or reference of any kind; the only source of information was my supervisor, who was always far too busy to be any help.

There are very few full time positions available at the store level, and most of these seem to go to department heads. If you are hired as part-time, there is very little chance that you will be able to become full time.

The company also had a tendency to schedule me outside my stated availability. A protest resulted in a loss of hours. Failure to protest was taken as tacit agreement that I was available around the clock.

Advice to Management

Broken equipment should be repaired in a timely fashion. Forcing employees to work with broken equipment for months or years at a time isentirely unacceptable.