Storables

www.storables.com
  www.storables.com
There are newer employer reviews for Storables

Not a place for professional/personal growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Storables

Pros

Generous Company Discount
Good retail hours-most locations do not have holiday hours
Some nice staff at store level
Variety of operational tasks/selling on sales floor

Cons

HQ may talk about puting their people first, but you won't see that in action. Stores have closed, associates have taken paycuts, no pay reviews, and now a bankruptcy process makes the HQ focus on "having fun" pretty empty. When HQ rolls into town stores do a dog and pony show and breathe a sigh of relief when they're gone. Storables has never been much of a growth organization. It's led by a small leadership group that has been very cautious and yet hasn't managed to figure out it's own business. Whether it's POS, ordering, or marketing Storables has been slow to embrace technology and strategically use data to positively impact its business. Their loyal customer base is aging along with the brand. Being so behind the retail times in capturing and retaining new business they'll be lucky to keep any of their stores open in this economy.

Be more transparent and honest. Bring in some new talent at HQ to take company in fresh direction. Ask for feedback from all levels at the stores to find new ways to motive them; what HQ thinks is fun & motivating is not on par. Solicit ideas without dismissing them. Just because you may not like someone's views doesn't mean it lacks validity.

7 Other Employee Reviews for Storables (View Most Recent)

Worked here for many years, and I thought it was family based

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Storables

Pros

Small company, thought it was family oriented

Cons

Small company that has yet to figure out glitches

Shop local, support low wages and poor business choices.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Storables part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are a local company to the Pacific Northwest. So that's nice. They paid slightly above minimum wage. Staff is generally nice, despite not being able to afford food or rent.

Cons

Despite only actually have a few small stores, they like to pretend that they are a corporation, meaning that the owners of the company pretend you don't matter as an employee. I received, for example, a Christmas card three years in a row that said "Welcome to Storables!"... as though I hadn't been working there for three years.

They also pay pretty horrible wages and can treat their employees poorly. When I was hired, I was promised $9.50 an hour and was getting 20 or more hours a week. When the recession hit (which, I know, is not the fault of Storables, so I am not blaming them), they cut everyone's wages and, as a compromise, promised not to cut hours. Then they cut everyone's hours. So I was making $9 an hour and getting 4 to 6 hours a week, if I was lucky. Hard with is rarely, if ever, recognized. To make matters worse, the company refuses to this day to make a concerted effort to compete with other container retailers. They don't advertise, they don't promote themselves... then they take it out on their employees when sales are low.

They rely heavily on part-time staff. There were also allegations of upper management at the home office being forced to quit due to health reasons. The owners are shady, slimy, cheap and not Portland-friendly.

Promote from within. Give your part-time staff a reason to work hard by offering promotions. Not once while I was working at Storables did I see a new manager come from the existing pool of part-time staff. Management was always, always, always hired from an external pool of applicants.

To the owner: Pay attention to your employees and their hard work. They are putting food on your table and they can barely afford to eat.

There are newer employer reviews for Storables