Storm8
www.storm8.com Redwood City, CA 150 to 499 Employees

This Company is nothing more than a Money-Greedy Zynga Clone

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Redwood City, CA

Pros- Friendly artists, designers, and producers.

- Chance to make you own title once every 6 months during the company's "Hackathon" event.

- Free lunches & dinners every Monday thru Friday (10 meals a week), including vegetarian options at each meal.

- A few special interest groups for dog lovers, Starcraft players, beer connoisseurs, assuming your workload allows you time to enjoy these things.

Cons- The games Storm8 makes are all clones of titles Zynga or Popcap make that are proven to be profitable. Up until now, Storm8 is not willing to take a risk on coming up with an innovative game.

- Some of the Hackathon game ideas employees make are wonderful, but upper management refuses to use any of them because they only care about things that make money and never want to task risks.

- As a software engineer, once you are assigned to a group at the 2-month point, you are stuck in that group and can never transfer.

- Some of the decisions team leads and managers make are short-sighted, resulting in a lack of communication between different teams, and prohibitively more time to market than needed.

- Every team is being pushed so hard that unless you are THEIR manager, your ideas get ignored, no matter how helpful they are.

- The company has more than doubled from the point when I started until the point when I finished at the company, but the average workload per person has quadrupled. This is because management thinks that twice the number of people, including engineers, allows them to crank out eight times the number of new games or updates to existing games, but the math clearly doesn't add up. This results in a diminishing work & life balance per employee.

Advice to Senior Management- Take RISKS, take RISKS, take RISKS. I would absolutely KILL to see Storm8 try for a game that's not some stupid clone of something someone else already made!!! Sometimes you gotta take risks to make the big profits, otherwise, if you're just making Zynga-clones, you're doomed to suffer a similar fate as Zynga.

- Listen to your employees' ideas! You can start with some of the cool stuff people came up with at your OWN company's Hackathon event!!!

- Encourage more idea-sharing between the different groups. This can also help reduce some of the redundancy as the company grows.

Awesome culture!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros: The people we get to work with everyday are incredibly talented and the… Cons: The company is growing at a very fast rate so things get a… Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the good work and continue growing this company! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Awesome Work Environment

I have been working at Storm8 full-time

Pros: Employees are smart, fun and passionate about what they do Senior Management is very approachable and accessible Open and collaborative work environment Different interest groups created by employees… Cons: The lunch line can be super long on sushi day :) Open office environment… Advice to Senior Management: Keep our culture and lines of communication open as we… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Storm8.

Worked for Storm8? Contribute to the Community!

Storm8 – Why Work for Us?

Storm8, Inc. is the leading developer of social games for iPhone and Android Founded in 2009, Storm8, Inc. is the leading mobile social gaming network, developer and publisher for iOS and Android. With more than… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Storm8 reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Storm8 CEO Perry Tam. All reviews posted anonymously by Storm8 employees.