There are newer employer reviews for Storm8

Fantastic People, Great Products, and a company I believe in!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is amazing and there's a real progressive attitude towards improving the company. The hours are extremely flexible and allow me to actually have a life. It's all about results for Storm8 and if you're a performer then there's nothing to worry about. I actually left my job at Google to pursue opportunities with Storm8 and I'm very pleased with my decision. I feel that Storm8's culture is similar to Google's, just on a smaller scale.

Cons

Everyone sits in a huge open space and it can sometimes be distracting.

Keep the push for diversity going.

23 Other Employee Reviews for Storm8 (View Most Recent)

Some growing pains but really good culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are awesome, hard working and talented.
    Everyone is very respectful of each other and super chill. Not a lot of drama.
    Very top light. Founders are super nice.
    Lots of real gamers work here, which means that lots of people are always pushing for fun and game-play, which is rare in free to play casual game development.
    Pimp your desk competition where the studio gives you money to make your desk unique.
    Dog friendly.
    Culture is somehow being kept, despite the rapid growth. There is a focus on hiring nice people.
    Very well-stocked kitchen.
    Good benefits package, gym in the vicinity is basically free.

Cons

Founders are very involved, which sometimes is bad, and sometimes good.
    Decision making tends to be driven by money making more than fun, but there are enough people fighting for fun that generally some fun is achieved by the time a game submits.
    Hard to have your hard work acknowledged unless the game is monetizing well.
    Loud work environment. Feels crammed sometimes.
    Sticking to quarterly plans doesn't always happen. Lots of last minute crunching.

Make sure you are present through the development of each project, if you are going to be involved. It's frustrating to have directors and founders be absent through the beginning of a project, only to swoop down and make tons of demands towards the end. Also, make sure to reward people's hard work regardless of the success of the game.

This Company is nothing more than a Money-Greedy Zynga Clone

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Friendly artists, designers, and producers.

- Chance to make you own title once every 6 months during the company's "Hackathon" event.

- Free lunches & dinners every Monday thru Friday (10 meals a week), including vegetarian options at each meal.

- A few special interest groups for dog lovers, Starcraft players, beer connoisseurs, assuming your workload allows you time to enjoy these things.

Cons

- The games Storm8 makes are all clones of titles Zynga or Popcap make that are proven to be profitable. Up until now, Storm8 is not willing to take a risk on coming up with an innovative game.

- Some of the Hackathon game ideas employees make are wonderful, but upper management refuses to use any of them because they only care about things that make money and never want to task risks.

- As a software engineer, once you are assigned to a group at the 2-month point, you are stuck in that group and can never transfer.

- Some of the decisions team leads and managers make are short-sighted, resulting in a lack of communication between different teams, and prohibitively more time to market than needed.

- Every team is being pushed so hard that unless you are THEIR manager, your ideas get ignored, no matter how helpful they are.

- The company has more than doubled from the point when I started until the point when I finished at the company, but the average workload per person has quadrupled. This is because management thinks that twice the number of people, including engineers, allows them to crank out eight times the number of new games or updates to existing games, but the math clearly doesn't add up. This results in a diminishing work & life balance per employee.

- Take RISKS, take RISKS, take RISKS. I would absolutely KILL to see Storm8 try for a game that's not some stupid clone of something someone else already made!!! Sometimes you gotta take risks to make the big profits, otherwise, if you're just making Zynga-clones, you're doomed to suffer a similar fate as Zynga.

- Listen to your employees' ideas! You can start with some of the cool stuff people came up with at your OWN company's Hackathon event!!!

- Encourage more idea-sharing between the different groups. This can also help reduce some of the redundancy as the company grows.

There are newer employer reviews for Storm8

Worked for Storm8? Contribute to the Community!