Storm8

www.storm8.com
  www.storm8.com
There are newer employer reviews for Storm8

Great place to work, but you won't innovate - ever

Current Employee - Game Designer in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Game Designer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Excellent culture. Employees across all disciplines care a great deal about their work and gaming in general, and (almost) everyone in the company is competent. In addition, the workplace is extremely professional and welcoming to men and women alike, which is not guaranteed in the game industry.
-High creative control, to a point. Teams are small, so you will often be THE game designer or engineer working on a feature - or sometimes an entire product. You won't control the project you're working on, but the details of the project are well within your control.
-Results matter, not time spent in the office. There's no need to work X many hours a week if you can get your work done. 40 hour workweeks with occasional crunch days are common throughout the company, although engineers typically work 50+ hours a week. I've worked 16 hour days as well as 2 hour days, depending on what I need to get done.
-Pay is competitive for the Bay Area, and the company is willing to promote frequently (but see Cons below). You're hired for the company - you will not be laid off at the end of your project.

Cons

-Storm8 does not believe in taking market risks. All decisions about which projects to create come from the founders and are entirely based upon what games are already successful. You will be told what game you're cloning and that will be that. Nobody will listen to your pitches, so don't bother making any.
-In order to receive a promotion, you must be doing the work of the position you hope to be promoted for. Want to be a lead designer? Then you should expect to manage 3-4 people for 6-9 months before you'll officially be promoted to "lead".

Learn how to manage employees! The entire management team of Storm8 has been promoted from within. All of them are experts in their professions and skilled at managing projects, but none of them has any experience managing employees and it shows.

May 6, 2014People Team

Thanks for your candor! This kind of feedback will allow the Storm8 people team to develop programs that would help Stormies grow into their roles better. We'll look into it further!

30 Other Employee Reviews for Storm8 (View Most Recent)

Great work environment with awesome people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Storm8 is an awesome place to work. People are always given opportunities to expand their skills and grow with the company. A passion for quality work is balanced with a fun, friendly atmosphere. Even with 200 people, Storm8 has a great sense of community, fostered by communal meals, company outings and parties, and lots of game rooms.

Cons

At the end of the day, Storm8 is focused on profit. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - everyone needs to get paid (and those free catered meals won't pay for themselves). But it can sometimes stifle creativity, and lead to decisions based on the bottom line, not based on making best-in-class products.

More hackathons! More opportunities to develop and nurture original ideas. Small, dedicated teams that come up with original ideas and pitch them to the company every month.

May 6, 2014People Team

We definitely would love to host more Hackathons so that our teams can share more original ideas internally. We appreciate your excitement!

Refreshing to work with a super passionate and talented team

Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are super friendly, super smart and very passionate about what they do. Everyday is different. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Benefits are great too -- free food, 100% health coverage for dependents, which is amazing. Really great trajectory for the company.

Cons

Too many snack options can be a challenge if you want to stay fit! Luckily, we have free gym membership :P

Stay accessible as we continue our super fast growth!

May 6, 2014People Team

We're glad that you share the same excitement about working at Storm8 as we do! Definitely struggling with how much food we get around here, too! :)

There are newer employer reviews for Storm8