Storm8

www.storm8.com

Great place to work, but you won't innovate - ever

Game Designer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Pros-Excellent culture. Employees across all disciplines care a great deal about their work and gaming in general, and (almost) everyone in the company is competent. In addition, the workplace is extremely professional and welcoming to men and women alike, which is not guaranteed in the game industry.
-High creative control, to a point. Teams are small, so you will often be THE game designer or engineer working on a feature - or sometimes an entire product. You won't control the project you're working on, but the details of the project are well within your control.
-Results matter, not time spent in the office. There's no need to work X many hours a week if you can get your work done. 40 hour workweeks with occasional crunch days are common throughout the company, although engineers typically work 50+ hours a week. I've worked 16 hour days as well as 2 hour days, depending on what I need to get done.
-Pay is competitive for the Bay Area, and the company is willing to promote frequently (but see Cons below). You're hired for the company - you will not be laid off at the end of your project.

Cons-Storm8 does not believe in taking market risks. All decisions about which projects to create come from the founders and are entirely based upon what games are already successful. You will be told what game you're cloning and that will be that. Nobody will listen to your pitches, so don't bother making any.
-In order to receive a promotion, you must be doing the work of the position you hope to be promoted for. Want to be a lead designer? Then you should expect to manage 3-4 people for 6-9 months before you'll officially be promoted to "lead".

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage employees! The entire management team of Storm8 has been promoted from within. All of them are experts in their professions and skilled at managing projects, but none of them has any experience managing employees and it shows.

Storm8 People Team responded to this review

May 6, 2014

Thanks for your candor! This kind of feedback will allow the Storm8 people team to develop programs that would help Stormies grow into their roles better. We'll look into it further!

Nice people: terrible games and hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Storm8

Pros: -team mates are friendly when they're not complaining about how much they hate their job -management was friendly and go out of their way to talk… Cons: -everyone is ridiculously excited about work and love the company with zealous loyalty. These same people complain how much they hate their job or… Advice to Senior Management: INNOVATE!!!! You have a great team so why not use them? Listen to everyone. There were many great ideas that were… More

Great work environment with awesome people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros: Storm8 is an awesome place to work. People are always given opportunities to expand their skills and grow with the company. A passion… Cons: At the end of the day, Storm8 is focused on profit. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - everyone needs to get paid (and… Advice to Senior Management: More hackathons! More opportunities to develop and nurture original ideas. Small, dedicated… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Storm8.

Worked for Storm8? Contribute to the Community!