Stowers Institute For Medical Research
www.stowers-institute.org Kansas City, MO 150 to 499 Employees

One of the greatest places to work as a scientist

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Stowers Institute For Medical Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Extremely good support for research. Any experiment you want to do, they will find a way for you to do it. The core facilities are incredible. All equipment from pipettes to desktop computers to confocal microscopes is top of the line and very well maintained.
- Beautiful facility, very good cafe, gym, outdoor areas, library. Fitness classes, English lessons, professional development (training for presentations, learning about alternative careers, etc). Free espresso, lattes, fancy loose leaf tea 24 hours a day! Easy free parking.
- Good benefits, health, dental, retirement. Employees get an additional 15% on top of salary added to a retirement account each year.
-Collegial atmosphere. Sense of collaboration, no great need to sheild your work for fear of colleagues stealing results.

ConsThere's only one con which is difficulty of maintaining work/life balance for students and postodocs. The students in my lab work literally 12-14 hours/day, every day, which at $24k for KU students comes out to much less than minimum wage. This is not forced, it's just the atmosphere of the lab - everyone wants to get ahead and not fall behind. The Pricipal Investigators are the best in their fields, they have acheived a lot and they expect a lot. This is fairly standard at a high level research institute and I think it is somewhat better than average at Stowers, where the Institue at least allows 3 months paid maternity leave even to students, and provides a room for pumping/breastfeeding and a room with tv and games where kids can hang out if you have to bring them in on the weekend. Things are a lot easier for Institute employees, such as core group members and technicians. Those generally work a 40 hour week and no weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is really good about listening to requests directly.

really good.. very friendly environment

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Stowers Institute For Medical Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: good and smart colleagues, great work environment, good funding for… Cons: post-docs not eligible for independent funding, no positions similar to a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

enjoyable working environment and wonderful people

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I worked at Stowers Institute For Medical Research full-time for less than a year

Pros: Core facility is really supportive so that you can focus on more… Cons: Not a very interesting place. Not many other medical research… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Stowers Institute For Medical Research.

Worked for Stowers Institute For Medical Research? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stowers Institute For Medical Research reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stowers Institute For Medical Research CEO David M. Chao, Ph.D. All reviews posted anonymously by Stowers Institute For Medical Research employees.