There are newer employer reviews for Stratus Technologies

Interview Process

Current Employee - Engineering in Maynard, MA
Current Employee - Engineering in Maynard, MA

I have been working at Stratus Technologies full-time

Pros

Seems like a good place, Interview Team was thorough starting with HR and all of the people I met with. They provided lunch, gave a tour of the facility. While walking around people seemed friendly. I like the casual dress enviornment

Cons

It was a big long - I met with a lot of people. they do a very thorough job. questions were reasonable, not too tough.

42 Other Employee Reviews for Stratus Technologies (View Most Recent)

Lacking innovation to move forward.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Maynard, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Maynard, MA

I have been working at Stratus Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong company and stable business

Cons

Lacking in vision to sustain

Explore new lines of business

I've worked with some amazing engineers, for competent managers, built and maintained a great product.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Maynard, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Maynard, MA

I have been working at Stratus Technologies

Pros

We have been given the time, freedom and resources to build good products. My colleagues are really smart and there is a good, collaborative approach. Our customers are loyal and hold us to our ideals. You can make appointments to talk to senior management and talk to them about what's on your mind. Hours are flexible.

Cons

Rather than make strategic decisions (and risk offending long-time, profitable customers), management just continues to cut staff assigned to various legacy functions. By all appearances, these resource decisions are made without any analysis of the risk or consequences. Several new product ideas are underway, but are understaffed. No one in senior management has a clue about how to leverage open-source software development; even new products that are heavy on open-source content (i.e., Avance) are being promoted and sold using old-fashioned techniques, not to mention being essentially run as proprietary software efforts. Dave Laurello (CEO) has no feel for the human side of the business; his pep rallies are death by PowerPoint, and he puts no effort into making the winners of his "President's Awards" feel special.

The company has way too much debt and almost every important decision is colored by the need to generate great piles of cash each year to service the debt. Put together a plan to significantly cut the debt, by going public, breaking up the business, or selling it to, or merging it with, a public company. Replace the senior management team with people with more vision and more willingness to take risks with new ideas. Get into the cloud business; that's clearly the future of ultra high availability systems. Either commit to staying in the legacy business or shut it down; stop trying to keep it going on a shoestring.

There are newer employer reviews for Stratus Technologies