There are newer employer reviews for Strayer University

Not bad, needs improvment

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Strayer University

Pros

Good benefit, the fact that they pay for your education

Cons

I believe strayer needs more compotent managers

Advice to Management

Employee should be more involved

reviews filtered by

Horrible Company to Work For

Current Employee - Admissions Officer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Admissions Officer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Strayer University

Pros

-Pays well compared to industry standards
    -Training is paid
    -At some campuses office space is provided
    -Will gather sales experience
    -Rewarding when you have students that are so happy when you help them reach their educational goals

Cons

Unrealistic sales goal expectations, they want you to make 5 students a week and realistically you may enroll only 2-3 student on a great week. This company places so much daily pressure, ex: you could have enrolled 3 students on one day and the next day enroll no one and management will put added pressure and stress on you for not meeting your daily goal. They say "goal" and each day ask you how many students you will enroll that day. If you have no one in your pipeline, then that looks bad and if you forecast 1 or more, and don't meet your forced personal goal then its another stressor. I see new hires walk into the door and want to scream, "RUN!!! as fast as you can and never turn back!" If you hate micro-management, this is another reason why this company isn't for you. Every few hours, I have to send senior management an update of what I did up until that point. Management is incompetent. They only promote based on who received the most enrollments. Management talks down to you. I seen someone yelled at and was told, "If you want to leave you can leave, no one is stopping you." Management is unprofessional! In order to take vacation, you must give an 30 day notice but they can and will change your schedule with less than a 24 hour notice and make it mandatory for you to come in. Moral is low. Attrition rate is high. Training is limited. This a company that cares only about money, nothing about their employees or its students. Its all about the dollar sign. Its sicking how they pretend to want to help students, and the next minute call them idiots and incompetent. Management will not listen to you. I wish I would have had someone tell me this before I started.

Advice to Management

The condescending communication is not motivating. If you work on moral and make the job less stressful there is a mutual benefit that can increase attrition rate

I regret ever taking this job

Current Employee - Admissions Secretary in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Admissions Secretary in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Strayer University

Pros

90% tuition discount (however, I would never attend here. and forget having the time to take classes anyway)
    it's a job and I can pay my bills (albeit still struggling)

Cons

This is the worst company I've ever worked for. There is no work life balance. All they expect you to do is work. If you have a manager that you get along with, you're lucky and should feel very fortunate. Hours are always changing, and sometimes they expect you to work up to 60 hours a week to enroll those students to put more money in their shareholders pockets. THEN they take away overtime, but still expect you to put the time in with their "extended hours"

Advice to Management

More work, less conference calls. Let your staff get back to going out in the community and recruiting instead of buying fake leads from telemarketing agencies. Stop expecting your employees to give up their family lives to work at your establishment. You want flexibility from us, but give us massive schedule changes 3 days before we are expected to work. You expect overtime when its convenient for you and then take it away from us when you realize you overspend on regional big wigs. Spend the money on hiring better professors and giving people a better quality education. Stop with the numbers game. You should be treating your admissions staff like gold. Without us, you wouldn't have your new "number" to report to shareholders every day. Get out of your offices, come to the campus, and make the calls. Meet with students and dot he whole admissions process to see how difficult it really is. You might be singing another tune once you see that it's more than just a number.

There are newer employer reviews for Strayer University