My first Job Experience

Current Employee - Technical Support Professional II  in  Chilliwack, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Technical Support Professional II in Chilliwack, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Stream Global Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very friendly staff, good environment to begin ones career goals in IT

Cons

Growth opportunities within the hierarchy is limited

Keep up the great work

Other Reviews for Stream Global Services

Unbelievable System

Current Employee - Intraday Associate  in  Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Intraday Associate in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Stream Global Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good treatment between the poeple

Cons

Transportion
    The managments are looking to the clients needs more than emplyees
    Bad control on the floor
    Bad ability & Planning
    Stingy

To have best managment try to sit with the emplyees more the clients to be the best call center

Stream epitomizes the modern day sweatshop

Former Employee - Customer Service and Technical Support Representative  in  London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Technical Support Representative in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Some of my coworkers from Stream were genuinely warm, interesting, and friendly people. However, in an apparent attempt to prevent workers from developing any sense of solidarity, management saw to it that few people would be granted permission to take breaks at the same time, and the few co-workers who were on break with you were seldom ever the same people with whom you shared a previous break. The odds that your work-related friends have the same days off of work as yourself are unlikely, so good luck meeting up with them outside of work - especially since the company's holds the work-life balance of its workers in such disdain that they're rushing to accomplish the necessary things they're prohibited from doing during their respective workweeks. Your friendly co-workers will probably leave by the time you have become sufficiently acquainted to ask for their contact details.

- My starting pay rate was slightly above minimum wage, although that really isn't saying much, given how woefully inadequate my province's minimum wage rate was at the time. Also, my raises barely ever amounted to anything, and Stream's base wage has remained unchanged since I left over four years ago. As the cost of living crept up, my income (in real terms) would have dropped had I continued to work at that call center.

Cons

Here is the primary dilemma of providing end-user technical support for multinational corporations which outsource their support divisions to call centers like Stream: Employees are pulled in opposite directions by their two 'bosses.'

On one side, the call center (Stream) is obsessed with having its labor meet unrealistically low call times. Despite this fixation, it forces labor to waste time reading from a script. For instance, upon learning what the caller's problem is, you are obligated to exclaim 'I can DEFINITELY help you with that!,' even when the caller's problem relates to a product or service that has nothing to do with the outsourcing company you represent. Stream will also penalize you if you fail to unnecessarily prolong the call by asking for irrelevant information.

On the other side, the company outsourcing its support division to Stream stresses that your primary objective is to provide ECE: Exceptional Customer Experiences. The means to this goal, you are told time and time again, is to do as through a job as it takes to diagnose where a caller's problem truly stems from and to exhaust a multitude of solutions until the problem proves to be resolved.

Needless to say, it can take a long time to deliver an ECE. Meeting this objective promptly is complicated by the tendency of callers to stall, needlessly complain, refuse to follow directions, lie, fail to communicate clearly, struggle to read and/or speak the English language, not know where their equipment is, fail to identify their hardware, and/or be less than proficient at operating software like Windows or the Microsoft Internet Explorer.

If you strive to meet the goals dictated by the outsourcing company, you are penalized for deviating from the goals dictated by the call center. If you strive to meet the goals dictated by the call center, you are penalized for deviating from the goals dictated by the outsourcing company. Management is indifferent to your situation, and you constantly worry that you cannot afford to pay off your rent and other minimal expenses because you're always made to feel that your job is in jeopardy.

The dilemma I addressed may not be peculiar to working at Stream, but the mismanagement and politics which characterize Stream made it the worst of all the call centers for which I have worked.

Have some integrity. Do not break your promises. Reward employees who struggle to survive in your company - particularly those who have proven their dedication by maintaining their job beyond the three-month probationary period. Treat your workers like actual human beings who have emotions and require a healthy work-life balance. Given how your run things, is it really any wonder that your turnover rate rivals McDonald's?

There are newer employer reviews for Stream Global Services.

Worked for Stream Global Services? Contribute to the Community!