Incredible place to work

Current Employee - User Support in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - User Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stripe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone you work with is great, and works really hard. It's really unique in my professional experience. Management cares, and is thoughtful, and active. There's an incredible sense of all being in it together and working toward a common goal. The Stripe product itself is awesome. The offices are to die for (as is the food). But mostly the biggest pro is that here I feel like I've been given the opportunity to work hard and produce the best work I've ever produced. It's a pretty awesome feeling, at the end of the day.

Cons

Information firehose makes it hard to cope with distraction sometimes. Company is a little bit caught between the company it was (small, plucky, engineer-driven), and the company it's quickly becoming (large, global, diverse). Consensus-building, management-lite style may not be your cup of tea if you're from a more decisive, top-down corporate culture where the power to create forward momentum is centralized in managers' hands. As with any workplace there are communication and cultural imbalances between teams, though I believe people recognize this as a bug when they see it, and work toward improving it.

Advice to Management

Be careful to message the company culture into every new hire, regardless of how fast you grow, to maintain what it is that made Stripe feel special to the people who first believed in it. Be careful to stay attentive to the changing needs of teams as they grow in size, especially with regards to management, to avoid becoming the cultural swamp that other manager-free companies like Steam have become (while at the same time preserving the Stripe values of agency, ownership of tasks, and self-direction). Respecting your employees means both giving them the freedom and space to produce their best work, while also giving them the curation, guidance, and support they need to produce that best work. This is something Stripe (amazingly) already has. Be careful not to lose it as Stripe grows.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Fun, fast paced, and exciting

I have been working at Stripe full-time

Pros

I feel really lucky to be at Stripe: it's easily the best place I've ever worked. The people are all super friendly, brilliant, and driven. It definitely feels like everyone here is at the top of their game and works really hard on whatever it is they're doing. Communication between teams is generally very good as well, and it's pretty easy to find someone to help when you need it. The culture here is awesome, too. There's a big focus on transparency, and it's super helpful to work somewhere that pretty much all communication is made public. Management seems to care a lot about employee happiness and feedback, and I feel like even as the company has grown you still have a voice. The pay, benefits, perks, etc are all (IMO) very good. Open vacation policy is a huge bonus. The office is super nice, the food is incredible, and it's a very comfortable work environment. It definitely does not feel like we cheap out on anything. This is also the most rewarding place I've ever worked. I love what I do and the people I work with. I feel fortunate to work for a company that's doing something hard and interesting. It's a very exciting place to be and things move very quickly - seems like someone gets a promotion every day. I can't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

As others have mentioned, work/life balance can be an issue for some... but it's a high-growth startup. It's a great place to work, but it's not a cushy job and some teams are pretty stretched despite all the hiring happening.

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring from within and scaling culture/employee happiness.

Great company, knows it's weaknesses

I have been working at Stripe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and great community dedicated to building a great company. The leadership is aware of their weaknesses, and are openly communicative. There are definitely growing pains--as with any company at this stage--but there is a lot of though put in to how things can be better.

Cons

The work life balance is skewed towards work, and employees are very driven. This can be motivating and inspiring, but it can also be challenging. The sliver lining: open vacation policy.