Stroud International

www.stroudinternational.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Stroud International

Strong culture of personal development and success.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stroud International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Strong emphasis on personal development,
Very open and honest environment,
Senior level consultants and partners very accessible,
Good work / life balance (with respect to consulting industry average)

Cons

As an associate consultant, one does not get to chose which project he/she gets assigned to.

Keep up the good work.

13 Other Employee Reviews for Stroud International (View Most Recent)

Great personal development and real responsibility

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stroud International

Pros

Real responsibility from day 1
    The work is very tangible and the impact on clients is visible
    Exceptionally bright group of people
    True meritocracy
    Good work life balance with not weekend work and reasonable hours

Cons

Not unique to Stroud - lots of travel and being away from home
    Small firm culture is great but the lack of formalized processes can be challenging

Maintain the small firm culture even as the firm grows

A chance to develop yourself and your career much faster than elsewhere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Stroud International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was working as a research engineer and looking for a next job when I met Stroud. What got my interest was the energy I saw and the impact the people were able to make on their projects in such a short time, especially compared to my past engineering projects.

I had given a lot of thought to what I wanted in my job: interesting and challenging work that used my education, good compensation, a clear advancement path, getting an edge in future management roles or MBA applications, and something that would force me to learn strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Up to this time I thought the only things that fit the bill were an engineering position on a management track, joining one of the big name consultancies, or going out on a limb with a startup.

I was surprised to learn about a company like Stroud that was young and growing and yet had worked with some of the biggest companies out there. I was impressed with the mentally sharp interviewers I met. But what sold me was how fast Stroud developed their new starters even at university level to lead teams right out of the gate. Their people less than one year out of university were working on a peer-to-peer level with industry managers 20+ years out. It was nothing like what my friends who had signed with big name companies were doing (usually they were working more behind the scenes doing analysis for the first couple years). With a good comp package, a clear promotion track and variety of work, it nailed the things I was looking for.

Now some years later I can compare my career track and development to my friends from university and grad school. At this point most of them are either just graduating with their PhD or MBA, or are an engineer with their second or third company. Most have not managed a team of direct reports yet, have never been placed as the lead in a large team effort to transform a business, have never led a senior leadership meeting (or been invited to one), nor have had one-on-one strategy working time with VP level and up. These are the things I was doing in a typical week two years ago, and my sphere of work has further grown since. Aside from being way ahead in terms of personal development, career experience, and a network of senior business leaders I've helped across multiple continents, the other gem is my compensation now is well ahead of most MBA grads, the growth outlook is steeper, and I've been making a salary the whole time and taking on no debt. (It's sometimes fun for me to MBA-bash now, but seriously I had originally planned on doing it after a couple years, and there are several Stroud alumni who chose this path and have been some of the youngest accepted into top-5 MBA programs, including three this past year.) My peers at Stroud who have gone on to other things have joined companies at the senior manager and VP level (or startup CEO), which is crazy considering our age.

Cons

Stroud is not for everyone. If you're more interested in a job where you can punch in and punch out with regular hours, or if you're mainly interested in a status symbol on your resume for your next step, or if you're hoping for somewhere where you can excel with talent and less than your full effort, then it is not good fit. The work will demand your best and you need to be prepared to give it and respond to consistent feedback on what to improve. Given the high stakes and rapid timeframes of the projects, this can lend itself to very hard-working days. Also given that the firm has smaller team sizes and the length of a typical project is less than a year, it can at times make for uncertainty in where you'll be week to week outside of the middle of a project. The nature of work involves being on site in person with clients, which means travel each week if your client isn't nearby. This started out as an enjoyment of mine, especially the perks and vacations, and now being married and starting a family it's become something to actively manage and I've been working to reduce travel by landing clients near home.

There are newer employer reviews for Stroud International