Stroud International

www.stroudinternational.com
  www.stroudinternational.com
There are newer employer reviews for Stroud International

Strong culture of personal development and success.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stroud International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Strong emphasis on personal development,
Very open and honest environment,
Senior level consultants and partners very accessible,
Good work / life balance (with respect to consulting industry average)

Cons

As an associate consultant, one does not get to chose which project he/she gets assigned to.

Keep up the good work.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Stroud International (View Most Recent)

Great personal development and real responsibility

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stroud International

Pros

Real responsibility from day 1
    The work is very tangible and the impact on clients is visible
    Exceptionally bright group of people
    True meritocracy
    Good work life balance with not weekend work and reasonable hours

Cons

Not unique to Stroud - lots of travel and being away from home
    Small firm culture is great but the lack of formalized processes can be challenging

Maintain the small firm culture even as the firm grows

Best place to start your career and occasionally volatile

Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Stroud International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stroud is THE BEST place to start your career. Compared to my peers the responsibility and the development you receive straight off the bat is the best around. In London, Stroud is relatively small and so all of the things that need to be done as part of any business are shared out among everyone. In my first year I had responsibilities (i.e. not just exposure) in delivering BIG results for clients (20% production improvements and suchlike), and also in recruitment, business systems, business development, technology and training (yep, training others in the office within a year – including people more senior). At times it’s a lot of work but you actually achieve visible stuff which really makes a difference, rather than just being a cog in the machine.

The culture and approach to development and learning is also infectious. It’s a very high energy group of people who are great to be around. They’re also driving towards their own goals and are happy to share what they’re working on, their difficulties and their successes. I’ve seen the people I joined with move a million miles on some of the things they initially found difficult. Being around a talented group of people like this means you can’t hide the things you’re not good at. There is an expectation that you are always developing and moving towards where you want to be. This means you never end up stagnant or in a position where you feel you’re not progressing. Take the extreme case of someone who has worked out that the next thing to work on was outside Stroud (be that start-ups, big business or even a professional musician). That conversation is open and supportive and Stroud helped them with a plan setting them up to be successful. The mantra of “Unleashing Potential” is actually lived, not just on the branding (internally as well as externally).

Cons

It’s a small consultancy – that means two things:

1. There’s a lot of travel, and that’s not for everybody.
    Stroud works on its client sites Monday to Thursday. We need to, in order to deliver the service we do. The London office serves all of Europe which of course means being away from home a lot and a lot of flying. Sometimes that’s very hard, particularly if you have a fairly active weekday social life. If you like travelling then it brings a couple of positives like a ton of air miles which you can use for holiday or visiting friends and family abroad.

2. The business has been pretty volatile.
    One or two big clients can make a big difference to how much work there is. Just over a year ago we went through a quiet patch and that meant there we had a lot of people with no work and some were made redundant. A lot of them were close friends and that made it difficult. Looking at where they all are now, they’re all (I mean all) doing some pretty cool things in and outside of consulting. We’re hiring again now, but am I certain that at some point in the future it won’t happen again? No (but neither is anyone else!). What I am certain about, is the skills you gain in Stroud allow you to do almost anything else, and way better than you would have done before.

Three things:

- Mix the teams between offices more often, even if just for short projects. The development gains will be well worth the associated transport costs.
    - Small and agile is great, but investing in (or even outsourcing) some of the more mundane basics of the business will pay back in the long term. Don’t be afraid of outside help on some of these, I think we’re getting better at this but there a load more areas where a little bit of external help with turn some “good” parts of the our internals into “great” ones.
    - Keep being open about your own development. We know you’re not perfect (and we don’t expect you to be), but just knowing you’re working on your flaws is a big motivator.

There are newer employer reviews for Stroud International