Stroud International

www.stroudinternational.com
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for Stroud International

Great personal development and real responsibility

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Real responsibility from day 1 The work is very tangible and the impact on clients is visible Exceptionally bright group of people True meritocracy Good work life balance with not weekend work and reasonable hours

Cons

Not unique to Stroud - lots of travel and being away from home Small firm culture is great but the lack of formalized processes can be challenging

Advice to Management

Maintain the small firm culture even as the firm grows

Other Employee Reviews for Stroud International

A chance to develop yourself and your career much faster than elsewhere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Stroud International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was working as a research engineer and looking for a next job when I met Stroud. What got my interest was the energy I saw and the impact the people were able to make on their projects in such a short time, especially compared to my past engineering projects. I had given a lot of thought to what I wanted in my job: interesting and challenging work that used my education, good compensation, a clear advancement path, getting an edge in future management roles or MBA applications, and something that would force me to learn strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Up to this time I thought the only things that fit the bill were an engineering position on a management track, joining one of the big name consultancies, or going out on a limb with a startup. I was surprised to learn about a company like Stroud that was young and growing and yet had worked with some of the biggest companies out there. I was impressed with the mentally sharp interviewers I met. But what sold me was how fast Stroud developed their new starters even at university level to lead teams right out of the gate. Their people less than one year out of university were working on a peer-to-peer level with industry managers 20+ years out. It was nothing like what my friends who had signed with big name companies were doing (usually they were working more behind the scenes doing analysis for the first couple years). With a good comp package, a clear promotion track and variety of work, it nailed the things I was looking for. Now some years later I can compare my career track and development to my friends from university and grad school. At this point most of them are either just graduating with their PhD or MBA, or are an engineer with their second or third company. Most have not managed a team of direct reports yet, have never been placed as the lead in a large team effort to transform a business, have never led a senior leadership meeting (or been invited to one), nor have had one-on-one strategy working time with VP level and up. These are the things I was doing in a typical week two years ago, and my sphere of work has further grown since. Aside from being way ahead in terms of personal development, career experience, and a network of senior business leaders I've helped across multiple continents, the other gem is my compensation now is well ahead of most MBA grads, the growth outlook is steeper, and I've been making a salary the whole time and taking on no debt. (It's sometimes fun for me to MBA-bash now, but seriously I had originally planned on doing it after a couple years, and there are several Stroud alumni who chose this path and have been some of the youngest accepted into top-5 MBA programs, including three this past year.) My peers at Stroud who have gone on to other things have joined companies at the senior manager and VP level (or startup CEO), which is crazy considering our age.

Cons

Stroud is not for everyone. If you're more interested in a job where you can punch in and punch out with regular hours, or if you're mainly interested in a status symbol on your resume for your next step, or if you're hoping for somewhere where you can excel with talent and less than your full effort, then it is not good fit. The work will demand your best and you need to be prepared to give it and respond to consistent feedback on what to improve. Given the high stakes and rapid timeframes of the projects, this can lend itself to very hard-working days. Also given that the firm has smaller team sizes and the length of a typical project is less than a year, it can at times make for uncertainty in where you'll be week to week outside of the middle of a project. The nature of work involves being on site in person with clients, which means travel each week if your client isn't nearby. This started out as an enjoyment of mine, especially the perks and vacations, and now being married and starting a family it's become something to actively manage and I've been working to reduce travel by landing clients near home.

Best place to start your career and occasionally volatile

Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Stroud International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stroud is THE BEST place to start your career. Compared to my peers the responsibility and the development you receive straight off the bat is the best around. In London, Stroud is relatively small and so all of the things that need to be done as part of any business are shared out among everyone. In my first year I had responsibilities (i.e. not just exposure) in delivering BIG results for clients (20% production improvements and suchlike), and also in recruitment, business systems, business development, technology and training (yep, training others in the office within a year – including people more senior). At times it’s a lot of work but you actually achieve visible stuff which really makes a difference, rather than just being a cog in the machine. The culture and approach to development and learning is also infectious. It’s a very high energy group of people who are great to be around. They’re also driving towards their own goals and are happy to share what they’re working on, their difficulties and their successes. I’ve seen the people I joined with move a million miles on some of the things they initially found difficult. Being around a talented group of people like this means you can’t hide the things you’re not good at. There is an expectation that you are always developing and moving towards where you want to be. This means you never end up stagnant or in a position where you feel you’re not progressing. Take the extreme case of someone who has worked out that the next thing to work on was outside Stroud (be that start-ups, big business or even a professional musician). That conversation is open and supportive and Stroud helped them with a plan setting them up to be successful. The mantra of “Unleashing Potential” is actually lived, not just on the branding (internally as well as externally).

Cons

It’s a small consultancy – that means two things: 1. There’s a lot of travel, and that’s not for everybody. Stroud works on its client sites Monday to Thursday. We need to, in order to deliver the service we do. The London office serves all of Europe which of course means being away from home a lot and a lot of flying. Sometimes that’s very hard, particularly if you have a fairly active weekday social life. If you like travelling then it brings a couple of positives like a ton of air miles which you can use for holiday or visiting friends and family abroad. 2. The business has been pretty volatile. One or two big clients can make a big difference to how much work there is. Just over a year ago we went through a quiet patch and that meant there we had a lot of people with no work and some were made redundant. A lot of them were close friends and that made it difficult. Looking at where they all are now, they’re all (I mean all) doing some pretty cool things in and outside of consulting. We’re hiring again now, but am I certain that at some point in the future it won’t happen again? No (but neither is anyone else!). What I am certain about, is the skills you gain in Stroud allow you to do almost anything else, and way better than you would have done before.

Advice to Management

Three things: - Mix the teams between offices more often, even if just for short projects. The development gains will be well worth the associated transport costs. - Small and agile is great, but investing in (or even outsourcing) some of the more mundane basics of the business will pay back in the long term. Don’t be afraid of outside help on some of these, I think we’re getting better at this but there a load more areas where a little bit of external help with turn some “good” parts of the our internals into “great” ones. - Keep being open about your own development. We know you’re not perfect (and we don’t expect you to be), but just knowing you’re working on your flaws is a big motivator.