Stroud International

www.stroudinternational.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review

Unleashing Potential

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Stroud International

Pros

A professional yet friendly and close-knit business that offers unparalleled opportunities to young, talented individuals who are up for a tough challenge. Lots of client exposure right from the start and many opportunities for personal development. The more senior professionals in the firm take people development very seriously and will often go the extra mile to help them grow as fast as possible. A great open feedback culture were everyone is incentivized to speak up and say what they think. The average level of responsibility is much greater than that experienced in other firms.

Cons

Travel is an integral part of a consultant's life: flying 100-130 flights/year is the norm for many. Most of the time is spent on site with little or no room for personal life during the week. Consultants are often alone on site, this can be difficult at times.

Advice to Management

More focus should go into thinking how the attrition rate may be kept under control in order to allow for the rates of growth which are being targeted.

reviews filtered by

Talented people, excellent learning experience and opportunities for growth, and a great culture

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Stroud International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best parts of the company are the people and culture. There is a true sense of team, mentoring opportunities, and colleagues are just a wonderful, interesting, bright and fun group to be with. The learning and fast growth mentality are also excellent. Consultants are given lots of opportunity to step up and take ownership. The experience instills a mindset of proactiveness, logic, great problem solving, and the ability to cause change that is important in any future work.

Cons

Like most consultancies, the travel is demanding and makes maintaining a good social life at home difficult.

A Warning from Experience

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Stroud International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company serves as a status symbol among Cornell engineering seniors. It has cultivated an image of prestige that is tough to beat.

Cons

I'm going to preface this saying that I really did not want to post a negative review, but I could not stand the idea that this company has 4.2 stars. As a senior in college, I received an offer from Stroud in my Fall semester, which was early enough (and exciting enough) to eliminate my need to search further for work. After graduating, I picked up and moved my life to Boston. I signed a summer sublet, a full year lease on my apartment, registered my car, and even got a first-day-of-work haircut. Immediately following, I received a phone call from the hiring manager notifying me that they would not be bringing in new hires as part of a reduction in force. This was the day before I was supposed to start work.

When confronted about the late notice, our hiring manager said that they wanted to wait until the very last moment in prayers that work would pick up. Further research has revealed that work had been slow for more than a year prior to our scheduled start date.

The aforementioned image of prestige is a guise. The company (as mentioned by another comment) incentivizes good reviews to boost their name. When I began my job search again, I thought that having a letter of recommendation from Stroud would be a significant boost in the consulting community. It was no such thing. Of the 10+ firms I spoke with, only 1 even knew of the company. And since moving on with my life, I have yet to meet a single person outside of Cornell who knows of the company. Finally, every person in any industry that I've met has agreed that laying off new hires is poor practice. The only other time I've heard of it was in banking in 2008 due to flailing market. Stroud did this in both 2012 and 2013 (and I sincerely hope they didn't in 2014).

To be clear, I am not wallowing in my own pity. Stroud is a company full of talented individuals and managed by a group of tools. But they have wronged a large number of people, and I can't stand to see nothing about it on here.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage your company. If business is slow, either allow your employees to ride the bench, or give prospective employees some warning.