Great Marketing, Poor Quality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Stryker

Pros

Stryker prides itself on being innovative and cutting edge. We are typically first to market with some of the most novel technologies on the market. We hire very energetic, competitive people who are willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Cons

Since everyone who works at Stryker is typically a type-A, competitive, achiever type personality, there is the expectation that everyone will work long hours. Although work-life balance is supported, you are definitely the exception if you leave at 5pm each day. Also, there is a "cheerleader like" mentality that influences people's behavior and it makes a big difference who your friends are. To move up in the ranks, being part of the in-crowd is very important. The pay varies greatly for different people in the same position, and its all about what you are willing to negotiate for. Right now the buzz word is "Quality" with "Where innovation meets quality" as the slogan. But the truth of the matter is, there are not a lot of managers in the quality department who are willing to change business practices enough to make the shift. The goal is still to launch new products faster and more often, and we are forced to sacrifice quality to do so.

Advice to Management

Although this may sound strange, considering the economic times we are in, I think layoffs are needed. We need to trim the fat of the organization and cut those individuals who are in the positions that they are in because of the who their friends are. We need to rejuvenate the organization with talented, experienced individuals who know more about design for manufacturability. We also need to put more new products on the back burner and focus on the ones we have in the market.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Stryker is a great company that gets their growth number or your gone.

Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Stryker

Pros

Industry leader in most divisions. The company- leadership and employees have a sense of strong pride in Stryker. Great resume bullet.

Cons

If you don't perform, you are gone within one year. Leadership expects a 20-45% growth regardless of economy or circumstances. You get it done or your gone.

Advice to Management

In my division- they have talked about getting us more products to compete w/ other companies. They started this division 3 1/2 years ago and still nothing. Yet we've had over 40% growth quota's each year. Be realistic for your employees and come thru expanding our product line up.

Drink the Koolaid!

Current Employee - Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker

Pros

You go home every day knowing that the products you make/sell/promote are designed to help people at the lowest points in their lives, while they are sick in a hosptial. These products make patients more comfortable and can assist in the healing process. There is a lot of pride working for a company that helps others in this way.

Cons

Drink the Koolaid or it will be a rough experience. Stryker prides itself in "talent management" and relies heavily upon The Gallup Organization for personality profile results to determine "strengths" for each employee. The company uses this process to justify some personnel actions. Employees who question the culture may find it difficult to enjoy success and may find themselves marginalized. The company moves so quickly in the R&D process that it often violates its own New Product Development processes in favor of performance metrics. End result is poor quality and no fewer than 4 product recalls in 2008.

Advice to Management

Slow down. The customers and, more importantly, the end users deserve higher quality in all product lines. First to market is not as good as best in market. Follow procedures and do not forsake them to meet metrics.